• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Outrageous Estimate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zowster

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania. I rented a vehicle to attend a concert and allowed a friend to drive home because I was too tired. He subsequently rear-ended someone and my insurance company refused to pay because they said he was not an authorized driver. The rental company whisked the vehicle off to a body shop that was quite far from the rental location and had it fixed. They subsequently sent me a bill for $12,000 in damages. My question is this: Does Pennsylvania law allow an at fault party to seek their own damage appraisals or are they at the mercy of what could be two conspiring parties? The vehicle that he rear-ended was a pickup truck that had only a scratch on the bumper and the rental company claimed there was $12,000 in damages to their vehicle. I was not afforded the opportunity to obtain an independent estimate on my own.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

racer72

The legal owner of the vehicle can have the car fixed where they want. I would bet the $12,000 includes other fees besides just the repair of the auto. Things such as towing, loss of use and depreciation can drive up the cost of repairing a rental car real fast.

S

shell007

zowster said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania. I rented a vehicle to attend a concert and allowed a friend to drive home because I was too tired. He subsequently rear-ended someone and my insurance company refused to pay because they said he was not an authorized driver. The rental company whisked the vehicle off to a body shop that was quite far from the rental location and had it fixed. They subsequently sent me a bill for $12,000 in damages. My question is this: Does Pennsylvania law allow an at fault party to seek their own damage appraisals or are they at the mercy of what could be two conspiring parties? The vehicle that he rear-ended was a pickup truck that had only a scratch on the bumper and the rental company claimed there was $12,000 in damages to their vehicle. I was not afforded the opportunity to obtain an independent estimate on my own.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
Clearly "a scratch on the bumper" is not worth $12,000.00 in damages. My point being...someone is not telling the whole truth here. :rolleyes:

I am going to go way out on a limb here and say that the rental car company has ALL of the paperwork needed to back up their claim for damages.

I would however ask to see some paperwork regarding these damage costs. Once you do...PAY!!!

I'll also be willing to bet that with $12,000.00 worth of damages...the frame was probably bent, and very costly to fix!!!

zowster

I did not post a question on here to be called a liar. I was seeking honest advice and, for your record, the other driver never sought any damages for repairs or anything else. It was literally a scratch.
shellandty said:
Clearly "a scratch on the bumper" is not worth $12,000.00 in damages. My point being...someone is not telling the whole truth here. :rolleyes:

I am going to go way out on a limb here and say that the rental car company has ALL of the paperwork needed to back up their claim for damages.

I would however ask to see some paperwork regarding these damage costs. Once you do...PAY!!!

I'll also be willing to bet that with $12,000.00 worth of damages...the frame was probably bent, and very costly to fix!!!

S

shell007

zowster said:
I did not post a question on here to be called a liar. I was seeking honest advice and, for your record, the other driver never sought any damages for repairs or anything else. It was literally a scratch.
I don't believe that I called you a liar. If so, please post wrapped in quote tags.

My honest advice was given. I'll repeat it for you again:
Clearly "a scratch on the bumper" is not worth $12,000.00 in damages. My point being...someone is not telling the whole truth here.

Today 11:58 AM
Again, if you ask to see the paperwork and they provide it to proving the damages...You will have to pay. You have no say so in this matter.

Additionally, If the accident was not that long ago, don't be surprised if you eventually get a call from the other driver or his insurance company regarding his "scratched bumper".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">