• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Owner responsibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SheilaWSaunders

What is the name of your state? FL
If a vehicle is being driven by someone other than the owner, is involved in an accident is the owner responsible for damages done to the other vehicle? Owners insurance company has already denied claim.

pimp

Typically

Typically if the owner gives someone permission to drive their car the owner's insurance will be responsible. Florida is a no-fault state so if you have insurance and over 18 y.o. you will be responsible for medical claims if applicable.

Last edited:
S

SheilaWSaunders

thats were it gets sticky. owner has sworn to insurance company that permission was not given, however she is also not willing to press charges of auto theft. she has also told me that she did give permission and in a pre-trial conference told the judge that since no one was charged she should not be responsible.

pimp

That's not going to fly.

The only way out would be to file grand theft auto charges. Otherwise most legal professionals will determine that permission was given. This is all black and white. no gray areas.

S

SheilaWSaunders

Thank you! That's what I was told by the Highway Patrol as well, however I've also had a Crystal River cop tell me it was illegal to make a left turn over a double yellow line, so I'm not entirely trusting of what law enforcement has to say.:D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">