• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Owner of vehicle involved in crash

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KJinTN

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

My story is kind of confusing, so I'll try and explain thoroughly. Last November (2004) I resided in Utah, but my tags have always been TN. I seperated from my husband who is in the air force. When I left, we agreed that he would continue to pay the insurance on my vehicle. My boyfriend dropped me off at work and was driving my car home on 11/13/05 and the person who hit him ran a red light and smashed into the drivers side doors. They had to use the jaws of life to get him out. They immediately put him in the ambulance and took him to the hospital. He was barely coherent enough to tell them his name, let alone ask for insurance information. My father showed up at the scene and all he was given was my boyfriend's set of keys and cellphone. I called in the claim to my insurance comp. who informed me that my soon-to-be exhusband had not made a payment on the policy since Jul, 05. I picked up the police report on 11/15/05, and it was determined according to that, the other driver was at fault. I also found out that neither insurance comp was listed in the paperwork. Her telephone number is listed on the report, but everytime I call, her answering service does not give me the option to leave a message. Its been a week since the accident and I have not been contacted by her insurance comp, so either she didn't report the accident or she does not have insurance, and according to my insurance, I dont have coverage either. I know that by being owner of the car, financial responsibility will fall back on me. But someone told me that if I'm involved in an accident in tennessee, because it is a no-fault insurance state, that my vehicle will be assessed by the state and if totaled, I would receive blue book value. I'm all confused and need guidance. Please help!

KJinTN said:
What is the name of your state? Tennessee

My story is kind of confusing, so I'll try and explain thoroughly. Last November (2004) I resided in Utah, but my tags have always been TN. I seperated from my husband who is in the air force. When I left, we agreed that he would continue to pay the insurance on my vehicle. My boyfriend dropped me off at work and was driving my car home on 11/13/05 and the person who hit him ran a red light and smashed into the drivers side doors. They had to use the jaws of life to get him out. They immediately put him in the ambulance and took him to the hospital. He was barely coherent enough to tell them his name, let alone ask for insurance information. My father showed up at the scene and all he was given was my boyfriend's set of keys and cellphone. I called in the claim to my insurance comp. who informed me that my soon-to-be exhusband had not made a payment on the policy since Jul, 05. I picked up the police report on 11/15/05, and it was determined according to that, the other driver was at fault. I also found out that neither insurance comp was listed in the paperwork. Her telephone number is listed on the report, but everytime I call, her answering service does not give me the option to leave a message. Its been a week since the accident and I have not been contacted by her insurance comp, so either she didn't report the accident or she does not have insurance, and according to my insurance, I dont have coverage either. I know that by being owner of the car, financial responsibility will fall back on me. But someone told me that if I'm involved in an accident in tennessee, because it is a no-fault insurance state, that my vehicle will be assessed by the state and if totaled, I would receive blue book value. I'm all confused and need guidance. Please help!
Call the police department that responded and ask them to help you track down this other driver. Also ask if they collected any insurance information that may have been left off the report. Once you track her down, file a claim through her carrier. If she does not have insurance, then sue her personally for your damages.

KJinTN

I did call the police dept. and they said it was not mandatory for them to put the insurance information on the report, which may rightly be so, but my b/f was barely coherent at the time. I have put in a call to the actual officer that filled out the report, but have not received a call back yet. Thanks for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">