• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pain and suffering

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

prokni

What is the name of your state? california

I got rear-ended couple months ago. My total medical bill is $1200. Repairing my car costed $2800 that got paid by other driver insurance.
<b>How much is a reasonble claim for me to settle the medical bill?</b> (How much should I ask for the pain and suffering?)
Also Insurance company sent me the papaer that lets them to get my medical bills and medical history if I sign it.
Do I have to sign it?

Thanks

stephenk

if you dont sign the authorization the insurance company wont offer you anything to settle. Why? They want to get the treatment records to see if they are credible, your complaints match the treatment given, is the billing reasonable, etc.

P

prokni

How much should I ask for the pain and suffering? (how much is reasonable)?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

stephenk said:
if you dont sign the authorization the insurance company wont offer you anything to settle. Why? They want to get the treatment records to see if they are credible, your complaints match the treatment given, is the billing reasonable, etc.

My response:

I respectfully disagree with my brethren, StephenK.

Do not sign their authorization. Their "autho" is too overreaching, in that, the autho allows the insurance company to obtain your ENTIRE medical history, about everything, including those medical procedures and treatments that had NOTHING to do with your injuries from the accident.

Do you really want the insurance company knowing about your alcohol treatment? Your appendectomy? Your HIV history? Your broken leg from 10 years ago? Etc., etc., etc.

Just ask your doctor for a typed medical report and billing for THIS accident, only. That's the only thing you should be sending to the insurance company.

IAAL

stephenk

If she wants to get some type of settlement offer, she can list on the authorization the name and address of the treating doctor only. Never sign a blank authorization!

the carrier I work for typically puts off making settlement offers until they are able to get the treating records and billing. If there is no mention of prior injuries or if the plaintiff has no index history, no further information is requested.

Plus, the doctor typically charges a fee to prepare a report. The carrier will not pay for the report and almost always deducts that fee from any part of the medical bill they will pay. I dont need to read the medical report to determine if the treatment is credible and the billing accurate and reasonable. The treatment notes say it all.

IAAL, how's the T-bird holding up?

P

prokni

1- I am sending all the Atna explanations as my receipts, is that correct? My understanding was that I need to all so get reimbursed for the portion that Atna took care off, so I can give it back to them when they come to me, is that true?

2- should claim for more than what my bills are? if yes, how much since my bills are almost $1300?

Thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

stephenk said:
If she wants to get some type of settlement offer, she can list on the authorization the name and address of the treating doctor only. Never sign a blank authorization!

the carrier I work for typically puts off making settlement offers until they are able to get the treating records and billing. If there is no mention of prior injuries or if the plaintiff has no index history, no further information is requested.

Plus, the doctor typically charges a fee to prepare a report. The carrier will not pay for the report and almost always deducts that fee from any part of the medical bill they will pay. I dont need to read the medical report to determine if the treatment is credible and the billing accurate and reasonable. The treatment notes say it all.

IAAL, how's the T-bird holding up?

========================================

My further response:

Copy and paste THIS "authorization" to your word processor, and fill it out. Then send THIS to the insurance company. DO NOT use their "authorization."

IAAL

AUTHORIZATION FOR RELEASE OF INFORMATION FROM MEDICAL RECORD

Record Subject
(Patient's Name) _______________________________ ________________
Last Name First Name M.I. Birthdate or Age

Address _________________________________________ ________________
Street City State Telephone Number
I, the undersigned, hereby authorize the _______________ (Health Care or Health Services) to provide from my medical record the information specified below to ______________and _______________ (Name of Any Duly Authorized Representative) for the purpose of ____________________________the information supplied is to be restricted to _______________ (Medical Condition or Injury) and/or _______________ (Time Period to be Covered) and/or _______________ (Other type of Information Specified)
Except as specified above, no other information about the named patient may be released without the patient's prior written approval.
Release or transfer of the specified information to any person or entity not specified herein is prohibited. An additional written consent must be obtained for a proposed new use of the information or for its transfer to another person or entity.
This authorization shall be valid until ______________
I understand that I am entitled to a copy of this consent.

Patient's Signature ______________________________ Date ____
Witnessed by: ____________________________________ Date ____

P

prokni

Thanks all for your comments.

Any advice on this question
2- should claim for more than what my bills are? if yes, how much since my bills are almost $1300? (Pain and suffering)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">