• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pain and Suffering -- How Much to Ask For?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

stratmom

My minivan was rear-ended by a 17-year-old driver who was not paying attention to the road. His parents' insurance company (State Farm) is admitting liability. He got cited for the accident.

In this accident, my minivan's bumper was only slightly damaged. However, the impact was enough to give me neck and shoulder problems. Currently I am going to physical therapy. My children were in the van at the time of the accident. They are ages 7 and 5, and were very upset for most of the day. But overall they are fine and suffered no physical injuries.

I stay home with my kids. Occasionally I do part-time technical writing, but at the time of the accident I was not employed or seeking employment. My major hobby, and one thing I enjoy immensely, is playing the guitar. Since this accident, I cannot play my guitar or take my guitar lessons. I haven't been able to do things with my kids because of the pain I've been in. I haven't been sleeping well because I can't get comfortable.

State Farm has agreed that they will pay any out-of-pocket expenses I have incurred. That is very cut and dry. Pain and suffering is the grey area. I haven't really lost income, but I have lost quality of life.

What would be a reasonable amount of money to accept for pain and suffering (please give me a range). I live in the SF Bay area.

I appreciate your advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">