• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pain and suffering settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dutchsteel

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
Iwas involved in an accident driving my company vehicle. The person who hit me was cited at the scene for driving to fast for conditions, and has admitted fault. I suffered a broken knee cap, whitch will have me in a cast from my toes to my upper thigh for 6 weeks. I will miss a total of about 8 weeks of work, if everything goes well. I received a call from their insurance telling me that when I am all better they will be making a pain and suffering offer. How do I know how much a knee cap is worth? I have called lawyers to ask there oppinion, but they want there 33%, and I don't need a lawyer if the offer they give me is fair. Dealing with lawyers in the past, I think they know exactly what it is worth but noone seems to wan't to tell ya. Has anyone had anything similar happen to them, and if so, what should I do?

ecmst12

Your injuries are severe. You would be best off hiring a lawyer. No one could POSSIBLY give you a number at this stage. You don't even know what your medical bills will be, how long your recovery will take, or what permanent limitations you are going to have.

teflon_jones

Your injuries are severe. You would be best off hiring a lawyer. No one could POSSIBLY give you a number at this stage. You don't even know what your medical bills will be, how long your recovery will take, or what permanent limitations you are going to have.
Since when is a broken kneecap severe? :confused: It doesn't normally require surgery to repair anything, and once it's healed it's highly unlikely there will be any permanent effects.

The only person that can determine how much your pain and suffering is worth is you. Do not ask them for an amount. Ask them to make you an offer when you're better and then see if that's enough to make you happy. You can always refuse it and ask for more. I wouldn't bother with a lawyer because you're unlikely to get more than a few thousand for pain and suffering (if that), so why give up 33% of that?

ecmst12

A broken bone is severe. Requiring a full leg cast for 8 weeks is severe. Surgery MAY be needed if the casting is not successful. The muscles will atrophy after 8 weeks off immobilization, and therapy will be needed to regain full mobility. This is way more severe then your typical soft tissue whiplash injury.

as234

Get a lawyer

I m not a fan of attorneys, doctors ,insurance agents, but without them, your looking at getting cheated. These are severe injuries, without an attorney you will get less. You need to figure out if an attorney will get you that much more, minus their cut. Start asking around for recommendations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">