• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parental Liablity for a Teenage Driver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NZYME

My 17 year-old daughter totalled her car in November, after having it for only 3 months. Thankfully she walked away unharmed, and did not hit any other cars or people when she crashed (into a tree). She attended a "safe driving" class, but has not driven much since the accident. She will be 18 in March, and now she wants to get another car and start driving herself again. My question is:

If she gets into another accident and hurts or kills someone, are we (her parents) open to being sued? What is our exposure? She will have auto insurance on our policy.

Thanks,
NZYME
In New Hampshire

seniorjudge

NZYME said:
My 17 year-old daughter totalled her car in November, after having it for only 3 months. Thankfully she walked away unharmed, and did not hit any other cars or people when she crashed (into a tree). She attended a "safe driving" class, but has not driven much since the accident. She will be 18 in March, and now she wants to get another car and start driving herself again. My question is:

If she gets into another accident and hurts or kills someone, are we (her parents) open to being sued? What is our exposure? She will have auto insurance on our policy.

Thanks,
NZYME
In New Hampshire
Of course anyone can sue anybody at any time for anything.

One suggestion: Buy her a car in her own name and her car insurance in her own name.

Obviously, she needs to be working to pay for all this herself. Working to support your car and your car insurance makes you a much safer driver.

You do NOT want to lose your kid to speed/dope/alcohol...the main killers of kids.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">