• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parents' legal liability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

auto

My two sons, ages 20 and 22 live in my home. They both are employed full time, and pay their own hospitalization and auto insurance. They do not pay me rent, and I provide them with food. Their vehicles are titled in their names. They pay their own auto insurance premiums. If they are sued for something like injuries caused by an auto accident, could the claimant have recourse against me, as a parent. The reason I ask is that my sons' insurance is the minimum required by law (in Florida PIP and PD Liability), they do not carry bodily injury liability. Thank you

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

No. The only way you can be sued is if for some reason you were negligent in the following way:

1) they took YOUR car out to run a family errand.

If the title and all bills are paid by them, then you should have no problem. Plus, they aren't minors, so it's okay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">