• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parked car collision

• Thread starter Trashedtailgate
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Trashedtailgate

What is the name of your state? GA

My parked car was backed into by another vehicle, an accident report was obtained. I turned it over to my agent, and they say I am responsible for the $250 deductible. Why is this? The other driver was clearly at fault and has insurance. Any way to make them cover my deductible? Thanks.

G

gimli

Who was at fault for the accident? Was it a hit and run? Was it on private or public property? Do you know the Name and the Insurance company of the Driver that hit your Car? These are all questions that can affect the answer you seek.

G

glee

The same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. It was parked on the street. I came back and it had been hit, badly. The insurance company told me that if I did not have any witnesses or a license plate or something, that I would be responsible for the deductible. The adjuster said the only way it would be waived was if they had someone they could go after. So you may be able to ask for the deductible to be waived, since you have the information of the driver.

HomeGuru

Trashedtailgate said:
What is the name of your state? GA

My parked car was backed into by another vehicle, an accident report was obtained. I turned it over to my agent, and they say I am responsible for the $250 deductible. Why is this? The other driver was clearly at fault and has insurance. Any way to make them cover my deductible? Thanks.
**A: read your insurance policy and there is a $250 deductible that the insured must pay.

racer72

You should have filed a claim with the other party's insurance company, not yours. You can sue the other driver in small claims court for the expenses not covered by your insurance.

Give your insurance company the other party's information. Pay your $250 deductible and get your car fixed.

Your insurance company will subrogate against the other party's insurance. Your insurance company will recover their money, as well as your deductible. When they have collected from the other party's carrier, they will reimburse you for your deductible.

Other option is to go directly through the other party's insurance for your repairs, rather than go through your own policy.

It's is much faster and easier to go through your own carrier. You won't have to wait for the other insurance company to "authorize" your repairs, haggle over the estimate, or try to send you to "Fly By Night Auto Body" for your repairs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">