• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parked cars hit???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mwilson76

What is the name of your state? Iowa

This might be somewhat long so please bear with me. I would also appreciate any advise anyone has.

On Aug 4th in the very early morning a vehicle (that was in a high-speed chase with the police) jumped the curve and in trying to correct his mistake slammed into my brothers car and a large oak tree at the same time. The force of the impact forced both cars forward into my vehicle. Totaling all three vehicles. My brother and myself only carried liability on our insurance coverage. In our case not a positive thing.

The guy driving the vehicle is a wanted felon in Wisconsin and the vehicle is owned by a female friend of his. She told the police and her insurance company that her vehicle was taken without her permission!!! While at the scene of the accident a friend of the driver came over to talk with the PD. I over heard the officer asking him if the vehicle was stolen? His reply was no and that he had been with him earlier in the evening on the 3rd.

It has now been 4 weeks, her insurance has pretty much said screw off, I have an accident report and a police report of the event that are inconsistent and speculative of the truth, and a county attorney who knows more than he is willing discuss and wants to push on with the charges filed when he knows that the car owner has lied about the granting of permission. On the day of the accident a family member of the driver told police that he had been staying with this woman and had driven her vehicle on numerous occasions. I found out today from a captain on the police force that there is a very good possibility that the charge of driving without owners consent will be dropped. He was not charged with Grand Theft Auto???

I would like to know what would be the best course of action if there is any? My brother and myself are the victim's in this situation. I was to move to Georgia two weeks ago for a job that I had to notify that I would be unable to withhold my commitment to them. Therefore I am now unemployed and without a vehicle to find employment. If the charges are dropped will that make her insurance liable? In Iowa there is a law that requires the accountable party of an accident to provide a rental vehicle for parties involved were their vehicles are no longer driveable. Can my brother and myself receive any compensation for the number of days without a vehicle? This has been a burden on my brother and myself and has thrown our lives into a greater tail spin than before the accident occurred, if we do have to sue the owner and her insurance company could we sue for hardship and if so what could be a dollar amount? Would appreicate any ideas of what to do. Thanks in advance. Mitch

stephenk

you would need to sue the owner of the car and the driver of the car. you would not sue the insurance company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">