• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parked in neighborhood(facing traffic), hit by car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

purin4

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia

About 6 months ago, my mom was parked in a residential area and her car was facing the flow of traffic ( left side of car was next to curb). She was hit by a man backing out of his driveway. He came to tell us, but insisted that we settle this under the table and not call the police or he would make sure we would get a ticket. We eventually called the police and my mom got a ticket for "unlawful parking - car facing wrong way". He was sited as well, I think for improper backing. On the accident report, officer wrote that "He(driver #1) said he was backing out of his driveway and didn't see vehicle parked on the street and struck it. I found driver #1 at fault for the accident due to improper backing. Driver #2 was also cited for unlawful parking."

His insurance company is only offering to pay for 80% of the damages. Being that my mom just wants to get this over with, she just wants to accept, but I feel that since our car was parked and immobile, we should not be negligent for the accident. Should we accept this offer? If not, how should I dispute with his insurance company? Should I threaten to pursue legal options?(mom thinks it's not worth the $200 to hire a lawyer). Also, our insurance company won't help us out cuz we only have liability...

LdiJ

purin4 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia

About 6 months ago, my mom was parked in a residential area and her car was facing the flow of traffic ( left side of car was next to curb). She was hit by a man backing out of his driveway. He came to tell us, but insisted that we settle this under the table and not call the police or he would make sure we would get a ticket. We eventually called the police and my mom got a ticket for "unlawful parking - car facing wrong way". He was sited as well, I think for improper backing. On the accident report, officer wrote that "He(driver #1) said he was backing out of his driveway and didn't see vehicle parked on the street and struck it. I found driver #1 at fault for the accident due to improper backing. Driver #2 was also cited for unlawful parking."

His insurance company is only offering to pay for 80% of the damages. Being that my mom just wants to get this over with, she just wants to accept, but I feel that since our car was parked and immobile, we should not be negligent for the accident. Should we accept this offer? If not, how should I dispute with his insurance company? Should I threaten to pursue legal options?(mom thinks it's not worth the $200 to hire a lawyer). Also, our insurance company won't help us out cuz we only have liability...
I don't know how much the total damages were...however, realistically it may cost more to pursue the matter than it would to accept the settlement. I doubt if the total cost of using an attorney would be 200.00.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">