• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parking fender bender

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ask traffic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? new york
I was in middle of backing into my driveway. As I was doing this somone behind me tried to go around me. In the process she bumped my front bumper and fender. We're both not sure if I was inching forward in order to back in or I was backing up and she didn't have enough room to go around. Is there a law that she has to wait till I finish pulling in and only then go around and therefore she's guilty. Or is there no such law. And if so in this case who would be considered at fault?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Is there a law that she has to wait till I finish pulling in and only then go around and therefore she's guilty.
No.

When you are moving contrary to the normal flow of traffic it is your responsibility to yield to all other vehicles and pedestrians. Sounds like you stopped in the street, obstructed other traffic and then started backing up when you struck someone or someone's vehicle.

Your description of the event leaves alot to be desired. Was it a pedestrian you hit or another car? Sounds like a car but you didn't really say. Just want to clarify that.

ecmst12

It sounds like there is going to be some shared liability regardless, but it is definitely important to know whether OP was going forward or backward when it happened.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">