• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking garage door

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zieg

What is the name of your state? WA

Our apartment garage door came down on my car while entering the garage. The apartment manager accosted me in the hallway and said she saw the video and that I hit their door and owe them $900 for repairs. I argued that their door hit the top of my car, she said that it did not matter it is damaged due to my car and if I don't have the money to make a claim on my auto insurance. I don't want to make a claim for this as I feel it is not my fault.

I am moving out on the last day of this month and I think they are just trying to get money out of me since I am no longer going to be a tenant, what are my rights, should I go to court over this?

Thanks all for any advice on this matter...

Zieg

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
what are my rights
You have many rights. But I think the answer you're looking for is that you do have the right to seek reimbursement for any damages they caused.

should I go to court over this?
That's entirely up to you. If you feel you have the evidence to support your claim, then go for it :)

Thanks all for any advice on this matter...
You're Welcome!

xylene

I don't believe the poster is looking to sue, but to defend himself from the apartment managers claim that the posters car damaged the garage door (even thought the poster claims the door fell on his car.)

In that case aggressively pursuing his own car damages is also a good tactic.

ecmst12

Was the door malfunctioning and that's why it hit your car? Or did you just misjudge where you were when you hit the button to close it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">