• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parking lot

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brichard

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I was waiting in a parking lot for a car to back out of its space so I could pull in. When I realized he needed more room to come out I looked behind me, made sure there was no one there, and started to back up. As I was backing up (5-10 feet at the most) I heard a beep and then a crash. I car had come around the corner of the aisle, beeped, and then we collided. It was nothing major, but they refused to give any insurance information stating that they beeped and I was backing up so it was my fault. After repeated requests for an exchange of information she would still not give me her information. I told her fine, never mind. And just took down her licence number and walked away. I realized there wasn't much damage to my car at all, just some scratches that could be buffed out. However, two days later after sitting in the cold I realized that when the other car and I collided it must have dented the bumper for a split second stretching the paint, because in one section the paint is beginning to peel.

Now my questions are this. I am going to get an estimate tomorrow. The way I see it is if it is less that say 100 dollars to repair, I mind as well do it myself rather than facing back and forth accusations with this lady, who was quite incompetent and rude if i do say so, and going through insurance and the such, not to mention if our insurance decided to say it was my fault and she decided to get a new bumper (which btw was of the tough plastic which is gray on sport utility vehicles) and it could cost me money.

so, am I making the right choice? By law, whose fault is it? She turned into the aisle I already was in, and I was slowly backing up.

Be honest, and thanks ahead for any advice

ecmst12

The reversing vehicle has the obligation to yield to traffic moving forward, so it was your fault. Why weren't you looking behind you AS you were backing up?

brichard

I actually was looking behind me. I looked back, there was nothing there, started to back up, and just as I went to stop and look forward the lady came into the aisle from the Aisle that crossed my aisle. I never saw her because of the fact that I was stopping. I still am not sure if we collided before or after I stopped it happened to quick.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">