• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking Lot Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RHollers

What is the name of your state? Texas
Recently, my 14 yr old son, Clay, was at the store with a friend, Amy, who is 26 yr old. They were in Amy's father's vehicle. Irresponsibly, Amy allowed my son, who does not have a drivers license, to move the vehicle while she was still in the store. As he was backing into a parking space, a couple from Arkansas decided they would go around him. As a result, there was an accident involving Amy's rear driver bumper and the passenger door of the couples vehicle. Out of ignorance, and fear, Amy and my son accepted responsibilty for the accident so that the police would not be called. However, the couple hand wrote an affadavit of the accident, including a financial arrangementfor damages. Amy signed for her responsibilty in the accident, and I signed in lieu of my son because he is a minor. This paper was very poorly written. It does not state that Clay was actually driving at the time of the accident. My question is ....is the paper legally binding? How should I handle this matter?

JETX

"is the paper legally binding?"
** Obviously, we can't tell without reviewing the actual document, but I will bet better than even that if the damaged party took this issue to small claims court, the document (no matter how 'poorly' written) would go a LONG way to making their case.

"How should I handle this matter?"
** You answered your own question...... YOU agreed to sign the document. So, you and Amy need to take care of the damages that were done. As to who pays what (you or Amy), that is up to the two of you to determine.

And why do I think that Amy would have a different story than having given a 14 year old permission to 'move' the vehicle???
And shouldn't you be worried about a 'relationship' between a 14 year old and a 26 year old.... where driving the car is an issue??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">