• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking Lot Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

magik5

What is the name of your state? OHIO

Well hello, I live in Ohio.
That state that the accident happened in is PA.

Here's what happened...

It was about 2:30 am on a Friday night. I was leaving a bar that is PA. Upon leaving the parking lot I was backing up and struck a car, that I did not know was back there.

I ended up breaking the tail ling and cracking the fender of a 1997 Saturn. The man got out of his car, along with his friend. He told me that we should not call the cops because, "I was drinking." So I said ok, and I gave him my name, phone number, address, and liscence plate number. I just took down his phone number.

He told me that the Saturn was his girlfriend's car and he would have to talk to her about what to do next.

We parted ways, and played phone tag for a couple of days. I finally talked to the girlfriend today and she said that she would take the Saturn to a couple of places and get some estimates on the damage I did to her Saturn.

Now, I am worried about paying out of pocket because I know how ridiculous estimtes could be from some shops.

I don't know if I should be held totally responcible for this incident. It was a parking lot and the cops wern't called. My mother told me (the car is in her name and so is the insurance policy) that I would not be able to file a claim on the insurance because I have no police report.

My question is do I have any other options rather than paying completely out of pocket for the repairs.

I have recieved advice from other people who have told me that if, "I don't want to pay for it then I dont have to." because there was no police report and that would be neccessary for an accident.

I like to think of myself as a good person so I feel bad just not doing anything about it, but I'm worried I'm gonna get scammed into paying some outrageous dollar amount to fix a tail ligth and fender.

Also I live in OH, so I googled a couple of PA laws about fender-benders, and I'm not sure if I completely understand the no-fault laws. I caused no medical injuries.

So if anyone could give me adivce on what to do next would be helpful and I thank you. If you need more infomation on this it, I could enlighten but I think I pretty much hit the notable parts.

Thansk for reading !!What is the name of your state?

ecmst12

A police report is not required in order to file an insurance claim. You are 100% at fault. Your choices are to pay for the damage out of your pocket, or let your insurance pay. Or be sued, but I don't think that's a very good option if you have insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">