• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking lot: Fault?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

queenofhearts84

What is the name of your state? I live in Mass. but this occured in NH.

Last night I was in a parking lot reversing into a space about three or four spaces from the end of an aisle. As I was reversing, someone came around into the aisle to park into the space across from the one I was reversing into and we bumped lightly. There's no damage to my car, but their front right headlight was broken.

I'm not sure who would be placed at fault, or if it would be 50-50? And should I file a claim with my insurance company even though there is no damage to my car?

Thank you in advance. :)

moburkes

Usually the person who is backing up is at fault. Usually. All you can do is contact your insurance company so that they can either provide your defense or pay the claim that the other driver will file. Oftentimes both parties are found 50% at fault.

FlyingRon

Your options are either to negotiate with the other guy as to responsibility or let your insurance companies do it for you. I had a similar parking lot bumper. The other driver was on a learner's permit and his father (the licensed driver) was a real jerk. He had already called his insurance company by the time I'd gotten back home to call mine. Mine dug in and refused to accept any responsibility. Don't know if he got anything out of his.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">