• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking lot fender bender

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoursname2001

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I hit a car as i was backing out of my spot in my school parking lot. The person also goes to my school. The mirror housing on their car was broken, and so was my tail light lens. Nothing else. The only thing we exchanged was my name and cell # and hers, I "offered" to pay and not contact inssurance. I dont think there was any witnesses. She called me today and left a message, with a qoute to fix the car, and said it was some $300. I already fixed my tail light. Does anyone think or know a way to get out of this? I think 300 is a little too much, the housing is around $50. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advanced!

abaga

yoursname2001 said:

I hit a car as i was backing out of my spot in my school parking lot. The person also goes to my school. The mirror housing on their car was broken, and so was my tail light lens. Nothing else. The only thing we exchanged was my name and cell # and hers, I "offered" to pay and not contact inssurance. I dont think there was any witnesses. She called me today and left a message, with a qoute to fix the car, and said it was some $300. I already fixed my tail light. Does anyone think or know a way to get out of this? I think 300 is a little too much, the housing is around $50. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advanced!
The part itself may be 50.00, but there is labor as well as other fees that go in to replacing parts. You don't expect her to put it on herself, do you?

If you caused the accident, and you don't want to submit to your insurance, then just pay the bill and be done with it.

BelizeBreeze

yoursname2001 said:

If you think the claim is too much, then contact your insurance and file a claim.

yoursname2001

abaga said:
The part itself may be 50.00, but there is labor as well as other fees that go in to replacing parts. You don't expect her to put it on herself, do you?

If you caused the accident, and you don't want to submit to your insurance, then just pay the bill and be done with it.

well, I mean dont you think the labor is a bit much for a mirror housing? Plus if i can get out of it easily, then why wouldnt I. I mean could she sue me? Like what would be the process she would have to go, if i ignore her, and even if she does corner me, I would deny it ever happening. What would happen? Could I get into even more trouble? All she has is a phone number and name. I doubt she filed a police report. Any ideas?

liquid8or

Are you in high school?

See if you can buy the part and give one of the auto shop students a couple of bucks to hook you up.

Back in the Civil War days, that would have worked at my high school.

Bang to anyone that will slam me..........

abaga

yoursname2001 said:
well, I mean dont you think the labor is a bit much for a mirror housing? Plus if i can get out of it easily, then why wouldnt I. I mean could she sue me? Like what would be the process she would have to go, if i ignore her, and even if she does corner me, I would deny it ever happening. What would happen? Could I get into even more trouble? All she has is a phone number and name. I doubt she filed a police report. Any ideas?
Deny it?? That is pretty low of you! A few names come to mind, but I won't even type them!

You caused an accident. Pay up! Is this what your parents taught you about being responsible? If you can't be a stand up person and pay the 300.00, then either do as another said and submit it to your insurance company, or STOP DRIVING! You are not a responsible enough person to be driving if this is how you behave!

Oh, by the way, SmartBoy, they have cameras in the parking lots of schools now...whether you know it or not! I am sure after you tell your little lie, when that little piece of evidence is pulled, your butt may very well be in a sling!

Last edited:

yoursname2001

abaga said:
Deny it?? That is pretty low of you! A few names come to mind, but I won't even type them!

You caused an accident. Pay up! Is this what your parents taught you about being responsible? If you can't be a stand up person and pay the 300.00, then either do as another said and submit it to your insurance company, or STOP DRIVING! You are not a responsible enough person to be driving if this is how you behave!

Oh, by the way, SmartBoy, they have cameras in the parking lots of schools now...whether you know it or not! I am sure after you tell your little lie, when that little piece of evidence is pulled, your butt may very well be in a sling!

Yeah, this is high school, um I dont think they have cameras in the lot, but thats a good point, um yeah no we dont have a metal shop at our school. Um, well dont tell me about responsibility and stuff, I asked if there is anything she could do legally.

abaga

yoursname2001 said:
Yeah, this is high school, um I dont think they have cameras in the lot, but thats a good point, um yeah no we dont have a metal shop at our school. Um, well dont tell me about responsibility and stuff, I asked if there is anything she could do legally.
Ummm, like, yeah, high schools do have cameras, SmartBoy!!!!!

Can she do anything legally? Yep, sue your butt, or your parents! I sure hope she does too! Do you always make your parents this proud??

yoursname2001

abaga said:
Ummm, like, yeah, high schools do have cameras, SmartBoy!!!!!

Can she do anything legally? Yep, sue your butt, or your parents! I sure hope she does too! Do you always make your parents this proud??

Sue me for what, if I just denied it!

yoursname2001

abaga said:
Guess you'll just have to wait and see.

PIG!
Thanks alot for nothing, I ask for help on if i can some how deny this, because the person didnt have any real solid proof, and i get this crap!

You want to know if you can deny it? Sure you can. That's absolutely your perogative. Then she can in turn go to the police and file a report. I would have to look into the laws of your state, but my guess would be that there is at least a couple options for things they could charge you with. And then she can sue your ass. Wether she has "solid proof" or not, the fact remains that you caused an accident. If you have this much problem accepting responsibility now, real life is gonna suck for you.

yoursname2001

arrown8606t said:
You want to know if you can deny it? Sure you can. That's absolutely your perogative. Then she can in turn go to the police and file a report. I would have to look into the laws of your state, but my guess would be that there is at least a couple options for things they could charge you with. And then she can sue your ass. Wether she has "solid proof" or not, the fact remains that you caused an accident. If you have this much problem accepting responsibility now, real life is gonna suck for you.
Alright, I guess you guys are right. What I was trying to get at was the fact that she didnt have solid proof that I even caused the accident, unless there are camera recordings and which I looked into and there are not. All she has is a name and a number. She probably doesnt even remember what car I have, just the fact its a sedan. So thats why I didnt think she could get anywhere if I denied anything of ever happening.

People have gone on a lot less than a name and #. In addition, she obviously has some damage to her vehicle. If she takes this to her insurance company or the authorities and then you deny it, don't you think they're going to wonder why you provided her with your contact info? I think you're missing the point of all of the previous posts, wether you think you can get away with it or not, you have a responsibility to make things right. Why do you think that you shouldn't have to take care of this? What is your basis for even asking if you can deny this?

yoursname2001

arrown8606t said:
People have gone on a lot less than a name and #. In addition, she obviously has some damage to her vehicle. If she takes this to her insurance company or the authorities and then you deny it, don't you think they're going to wonder why you provided her with your contact info? I think you're missing the point of all of the previous posts, wether you think you can get away with it or not, you have a responsibility to make things right. Why do you think that you shouldn't have to take care of this? What is your basis for even asking if you can deny this?
Well my point was that she could have gotten my name and cell phone number any where. Well yeah ok, I should make this right, but seriously, if you could save some money by simply denying it, wouldnt you? Lets forget morals for a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">