• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking Lot Fender Bender

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sheesh

What is the name of your state?Michigan - No Fault Insurance
Recently I was in a fender bender at a car dealership. I was in a designated parking spot of a busy dealership. As I left the building I looked around the parking lot to determine where to exit. My car was parked across from the bay doors. I turned to look out my back window and proceeded to backup as I did not see anyone behind me just the empty bay door. Much to my surprise there was a small vehicle parked in the driving lane, not a designated parking spot, in front of the second bay door. I didn’t even hear a crunch just the sound of a horn. I immediately pulled back into my parking space and noted that the parking space next to me was empty. When I exited my vehicle I apologized to the driver. I do not believe that is an admission of fault, but just a common courtesy. After calling the police department we were told to drive to the nearest police station to make a police report which we did. After leaving the police station, the other driver approached my car and asked if I would pay his deductible. I was under the assumption that No Fault Insurance meant that he would be responsible for his own deductible. In doing some research I found out that my insurance would pay his deductible had he been in a designated parking spot, but he was not. What does this mean for me? Can he take me to small claims court?

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Sheesh said:
What is the name of your state?Michigan - No Fault Insurance
Recently I was in a fender bender at a car dealership. I was in a designated parking spot of a busy dealership. As I left the building I looked around the parking lot to determine where to exit. My car was parked across from the bay doors. I turned to look out my back window and proceeded to backup as I did not see anyone behind me just the empty bay door. Much to my surprise there was a small vehicle parked in the driving lane not a designated parking spot in front of the second bay door. I didn’t even hear a crunch just the sound of a horn. I immediately pulled back into my parking space and noted that the parking space next to me was empty. When I exited my vehicle I apologized to the driver. I do not believe that is an admission of fault, but just a common courtesy. After calling the police department we were told to drive to the nearest police station to make a police report which we did. After leaving the police station, the other driver approached my car and asked if I would pay his deductible. I was under the assumption that No Fault Insurance meant that he would be responsible for his own deductible. In doing some research I found out that my insurance would pay his deductible had he been in a designated parking spot, but he was not. What does this mean for me? Can he take me to small claims court?

In doing some research I found out that my insurance would pay his deductible had he been in a designated parking spot, but he was not.

This is the first time I have ever heard of "negligent parking"; post a copy of that info, okay?

Sheesh

seniorjudge said:

In doing some research I found out that my insurance would pay his deductible had he been in a designated parking spot, but he was not.

This is the first time I have ever heard of "negligent parking"; post a copy of that info, okay?
Property Protection Insurance (PPI) and Residual Property Damage Liability Insurance:
This coverage will pay up to $1 million for damages caused to other people's property in Michigan, such as buildings and fences, regardless of fault. It will also pay for damage your car does to another person's properly parked vehicle. It does not pay for any other damage to cars. Damage to your own property is not covered.

If the incident occurs outside Michigan, Residual Property Damage Liability Insurance covers your legal liability for property damage

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">