• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking lot fender bender

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zymotix3

California

3 weeks ago, in the parking lot of Target, my friend backed her car out of a slot and into the rear passenger door of a passing car. Before she could pull away, the other driver continued to drive forward and created more damages than initial dent.

While my friend was willing to exchange info and let insurance take care of everything, the other driver insisted they both will just take care of it on their own. There are two independent witnesses/passerby that we got contacts from to back up this claim. I offered to exchange contact information in case she changes her mind. After a week and a half of not hearing back from her, my friend got the car fixed on her own ($700). 3 weeks after the incident, the other driver's husband finally called and demanded insurance information of my friend.

Because she's already taken care of everything on her own, my friend doesn't want to involve the insurance anymore. We've offered to take care of the dent done when we backed into them, and if reasonable, maybe a portion of the paint work too, but the husband still insist on claiming insurance. My question is:

They currently don't have my friend's name nor contact, nor license plate, no photos, and I'm the only contact they have, nick name (not official on paper name), and cell number. Can they make a claim against my friend after 3 weeks with just my name and cell? am I under obligation to release my friend's contact information?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
They have every right to file a claim. Given that your friend was at fault, it's really rather foolish of you to get in the middle of it. Tell her to call the guy with her info, or you will give it to him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">