• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking lot-slight scrape

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cardrivingad

What is the name of your state? MA

I was involved in a slight fender bender. As I was backing out of my school parking lot(slowly) I saw a minivan comming from a distance, and was in no way able to hit me. I continued to back up slowly(turning my wheel), i got my tail out about 2 feet, and I saw an on comming car(opposite of the minivan) therefore stoping my vehicle. The on comming car swirved to attempting to avoid hitting my car while avoiding the minivan in the other "lane" but was unsuccessful, and collided with my car. The damages were small, my tail light lenes was broken, slight paint scratch off my bumper, her mirror housing broken, and a small dent (1 inch in diameter) with a scrach on her side door. We got out and agreed to a private settlement, she believed it was my fault and that I should have pulled my car in when I saw her comming, so we left after exchanging phone numbers and name, no police was called, no witnesses confronted the both of us. So afterwards, she calmed that I had to pay her in full for all her damages. But I argued 50-50 (though I dont even think its my fault). But in any case, she said she had witnesses-which I know nothing of-saying that her car was already behind me when I tired to back out, therefore I was at fault. Since I didnt want to involve my insurance fearing my premium would go up, i been trying to settle this myself as much as possible.

Question 1
-Was the so called witnesses(which were her friends, and that I know nothing of) viable in a court or when it comes to insurance?

-Should I involve my insurance, risking having my premium go up? Should I just pay her and get it over with? Her damage - $350; mine $150+ bumper repaint(I didnt get a quote yet)

-Was I even at fault?

ANY advice on how to handle this situation would be most welcome!!!

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
cardrivingad said:
-Was I even at fault?

ANY advice on how to handle this situation would be most welcome!!!
You were entering a public street and didn't yield. You are at fault, 100%. Pay the lady.

cardrivingad

woha hold up......

Um at the time I was backing up she was not anywhere close to my car. And as I slowly backed out(again my tail was only out about 2 feet), that was when I saw her heading my way. Once I saw that, I STOPPED my car, she clearly swirved to avoid hitting my "parked" car, but misjudged and still hit my car. How was this 100% my fault?

jcnoernberg

$350.00 is small price to pay to make this all go away. I would be sure to get some sort of document releasing you from all future liability. That's what my lawyer had me sign at the end of my case.

were you backing into a main road? the other driver sounds like she had control of that lane. I can tell you're just waiting for someone to post otherwise (as your last post indicated), but sometimes the truth (err, the law rather) just stinks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">