• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking space question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

webdust

If the person parking next to me (I live in an apartment complex and they are assigned parking spaces) parks on/over the white parking divider and I hit their car while trying to park my car am I liable for damages? The spaces are pretty tight and these people regularly park on the line or over it. I've left notes for them but they don't seem to care. Thanks for the help.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by webdust:
If the person parking next to me (I live in an apartment complex and they are assigned parking spaces) parks on/over the white parking divider and I hit their car while trying to park my car am I liable for damages? The spaces are pretty tight and these people regularly park on the line or over it. I've left notes for them but they don't seem to care. Thanks for the help.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes because you caused the damage.

W

webdust

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HomeGuru:
Yes because you caused the damage.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got to ask... even if their car is parked over onto my space? Wouldn't they be negligent? Doesn't seem fair. (I'm sure you've heard that often enough) I guess I have to get the landlord to intervene. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by webdust:
I've got to ask... even if their car is parked over onto my space? Wouldn't they be negligent? Doesn't seem fair. (I'm sure you've heard that often enough) I guess I have to get the landlord to intervene. Thanks for taking the time to answer.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same response.

LegalBeagle

I've got to ask... even if their car is parked over onto my space? Wouldn't they be negligent? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The point is, their car was stationary, yours was moving and you had control of the car. You had a choice, their car did not.

K

keeshy2

Do what I did when I had the same problem. Do this late at night, when you're sure they won't leave again until the morning. This also only works if they have to leave before you & if they pull nose-in in the parking space:

Pull your car in SO close to theirs your mirrors are overlapping. Take care not to **** their car! Make sure you're between your lines so they can't complain. Get out and make sure there is no possible way they can get to the drivers door of their car. In the morning, peek outside & watch them have to climb in through the passenger side. Keep this up until they figure it out (took me 3 days).

Another thing I've seen done (but only works if you have a lenient management company) is to park BEHIND their car & your space. When they throw a fit, say "Hey, I couldn't fit into my space so I had to park where I could". They usually get the hint.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">