• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parkinglot accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

parkinglot

what is the name of your state? ca.
I was parked in a store parking lot. I was using my daughters car with permission. I backed out of my parking space and was half turned into the lane, and hit a car backing out directly behind me. I was already turning into the lane, they backed straight out. Small area of scratching 9"x 6" to the corner of the other cars' bumper, no dent, could be waxed out. My car has 3 feet x 6" of minor abrasion to the side molding. from the rear tire to the bumper edge. No one was injured, damages can be waxed out of the other car. No witnessess. The other driver and passenger-mom- hostile-claim my fault, tried to intimidate me. We exchanged info. and left agreeing to contact our own insurers. No police report. Their insurance co called me 1 hr. afterwards to get a statement, & they've requested a recorded statement to their adjuster - I feel they hit me. I don't want a claim submitted to my daughter's insurance, raising her rate. At worst I assumed, due to the minor damage to the cars we'd each fix our own car. The deductibles will be far more costly. What do i do?:(

Last edited:

stephenk

why do you feel they hit you when in your post you state you were also backing out when the accident happened? if both cars were moving then 50-50 fault. if they claim they were stopped and you hit them, then you are at fault.

since they have already made a claim to their own carrier, you have a few options: pay their damage; dont pay their damage and let their carrier make a claim against you and you can either fight it or let your daughter's carrier handle it, or just notify your daughters' carrier and let them deal with the other carrier.

P

parkinglot

Thanks for your reply. We were opposite each other and backed into each other. My car was already turning into the lane , the other car {still straight-and not yet turned into the lane}hit my back tire scratching along the plastic side molding when they and I pulled back into our spaces; They do claim they were stopped and honked many times to which I asked why then did they not pull back into the space? They didn't honk and I think they stopped at the last moment, we nearly missed each other. The other driver wants to escalate a minor bumping incident. My daughter's car will need some painting on the molding. The other car will need to wax our paint off the corner of their old camry bumper. I wiped some off at the scene. I was already turned in the lane, they hit me in the side- in my blind spot, but it was close. I say assume it's 50-50. I think it's reasonable to fix our own cars and ridiculous to use our insurance for what will amount to a small expense. Deductibles and rate raises will certainly be more costly. Also it was upsetting to be shrieked at while trying to exchange info. They seemed thrilled to have something to shrew about. My daughter"s carrier will have to deal with the other insurer if their adjuster doesn't dismiss it at when he sees the "damages.": to their car. rolleyes:

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">