• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Part Time Driver laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Keegan

I have a Little question...I am a New Driver and I will not have a car of my own for a while...if my mom puts me on Her insurance as a part time driver does that cover me on any car or just hers?....If it only covers me for her car how can i be covered on all cars without having a car of my own?

seniorjudge

Keegan said:
I have a Little question...I am a New Driver and I will not have a car of my own for a while...if my mom puts me on Her insurance as a part time driver does that cover me on any car or just hers?....If it only covers me for her car how can i be covered on all cars without having a car of my own?
Your questions are good questions and you are to be commended for asking them.

In fact, you should ask them of your insurance agent.

That would be a good time to discuss safe driving and stuff.

You need to know about how insurance works.

xylene

These are questions that would best be directed to an agent / customer service representative of your mother's insurance company.

People on this site can't really answer without your state, and even with your state known it is really a question you and your mom will need to hash out with your insurance company.

zippysgoddess

Yes, definitely talk to the insurance company, or have your mother speak to them. There are usually ways to get coverage for any vehicle you drive, a mobil insurance so to speak, even when you don't have a vehicle of your own.

Making sure you have coverage in this manner is always a smart thing to do, especially since some people's insurance policies might exclude other drivers or drivers not in their household. You definitely do not want to think all is copacetic and get in an accident and find our a friend's policy did not provide coverage for guest drivers.

We have a policy like that, it covers only my husband as a driver and no one else. So if we lend our vehicle to a friend, they must have some form of coverage for it, otherwise there isn't any. So far, only one of our friends has this on his policy, so he is the only one who ever gets to borrow our Grand Caravan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">