• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Partnership non-compete agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Z

zukker

What is the name of your state? Nebraska

I am about to enter into an agreement as a partner at an architectural firm, but they want me to sign a non-compete form. It basically states that if I leave, I can't work in any architecturally related field within 50 miles from Omaha. If I do, I will have to pay the firm a year’s salary. I would agree to it if it would the agreement would start when I have 15 - 20% ownership. I don't want to be locked in with only starting the partnership at 3%. Once I sign, they could hold me, as I would not be able to work elsewhere, and never offer any more shares of the firm, (they observe the right to offer shares if and whenever they chose) so I will then be stuck wearing the "golden handcuffs". I want to be a partner, but I don't want to sign the agreement.

I was told that a form like that is non-binding, but the problem with that is I would not have the finances to fight them.

Any advice?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">