• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passenger injury in Auto Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Babsline1

Oct. 1999 was passenger in head on collison. Was placed on life support for seven days; a ‘halo’ was placed on my head, which I had to wear for five months; they did not even operate on my hip and femur injury for approximately a week, until my condition was stabilized. Upon removal of the halo, I was placed in a collar that fit around my jaw line and down over my shoulders. This was part of my life for the next three months. I was eventually allowed to remove it for an hour at a time……until I could go further. To this day, I continue to suffer headaches on the upper right side of my head on a daily basis. As for my neck, I am very lucky that I did not wind up paralyzed……. However, I still have very ‘limited’ range of motion in my neck and suffer pain after trying to do simple things, or when I am tired. Just getting my neck and head comfortable, when I lay my head on a pillow to sleep at night, is a chore. When riding as a passenger in any vehicle today, I am extremely paranoid.

The woman driving the car that hit my vehicle was driving on the wrong side of the road and was exceeding the posted speed limit. There is also a question as to her level of sobriety, since she was reported coming from a local bar.

Today, March 8, 2001 a judge ‘dismissed’ her case, due to the fact that the investigating officer failed to write her a citation for over a week. . HOW can the police department ignore this, particularly when there are injuries? In addition, HOW, can a judge dismiss this type of life-altering case based on such a technicality?

The only facts I have thus far are as follows;
She is a 39 year old single female living with her mother in the town where she grew up. She has five or six brothers and sisters. At the time of the accident, she was employed by the American Express Corporation. I do not know in what capacity, nor do I know if she returned to her job. She has since been involved in another accident in which she was allegedly hit from the rear and she hit the car in front of her in the rear. Cause of the accident, unknown. I am unaware of the status of this case.

The Social Security administration, after sending me to three doctors of their choice, declared me completely disabled in Sept. of 2000.

In accordance with the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the insurance carried by this individual was the minimum required $20,000 - $40,000. She also did not carry optional bodily injury. Therefore, since there were three individuals in the vehicle in which I was riding, $20,000 will be divided between the other two individuals and I will receive $20,000 less a third for my attorney. The automobile in which I was riding also carried the bare minimum required by law. So now, I am expected to live on $646.00 per month Soc. Security disability for the rest of my life, with no other means of income.

Before the accident, I was employed by a temporary accounting agency, earning $20.00 per hour, since I had been laid off due to corporate re-organization in 1997. The accident occurred on a Saturday and I had worked on Friday and was scheduled to be back to work on Monday.

Do I have any options? Am I been unrealistic in expecting any additional damages? Is it possible that the local police department shares some responsibility from the officer not issuing citations in a timely manner? If the lady was drinking in a local bar on the night of the accident, do they share liability? Should I retain the services of a private investigator? My desire is not to be rich……..but to be able to live and pay for rent and food. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">