• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passengers in my car claiming false bodily injury

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jessiebug

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I was in an auto accident last Saturday. I'm 30-years-old and this was my first accident. The weather was really bad and we were driving to look at a new house for my boyfriend. Because I wasn't comfortable driving, my boyfriend drove. He has a restricted license, but I still felt safer this way. Anyway, the person that was going to allow him to stay in his house was with us and had a friend with him. As we were returning the two other guys to their house, we had an accident. The two in the back seat were not wearing seatbelts, but my boyfriend and I (in the front seats) were.

I was just contacted by my insurance company who says that the two other passengers are claiming bodily injury against my insurance. There is a claim of both a broken elbow and a hyperextended shoulder that may require surgery. I'm 99% positive this is a false claim. These two are definitely sketchy people and they never mentioned any pain after the accident. In fact, one said his finger hurt, but that it was okay.

I'm afraid of losing my insurance coverage and having to get sued or going to court over this. I will do whatever is asked of my of course, but what do you do when you suspect fraud? I have mentioned this to the insurance agent that was helping me, but she is losing my claim as it's getting elevated to higher level adjusters since the bodily injury claim is substantially more complicated than she deals with.

Any help???

JReyes

Simple, tell them to prove it.

Tell your insurance company of this and they will send out an investigation on this. Your insurance company doesn't want to pay either so they will do whatever it takes not to pay. :)

These things are inevitable. But there is a catch 22. If on the police report it is put down that there were no injuries but now they say they do have injuries, that sends out a red flag that this is a fradulent claim. :D These injuries aren't injuries that just show up overtime, especially a fractured elbow. But of course, I am not a doctor so I can't guarantee that.

jessiebug

Good...my insurance company is aware of what I think. The bad part...no police report. There was a state trooper that drove by us as we got out of the ditch and told us to "slow down" before he took off down the road. I guess somehow in my confused mind, I figured this wasn't a case the police would be interested in since he did that. I wish, wish, wish the insurance company people had told me to call the police anyway...even if we weren't still at "the scene".

As for a seat belt law, yes--front seat passengers are required to wear seat belts. In this case, my boyfriend and I were.

JReyes

This sounds like it will be a battle of "he says, she said", very annoying. Just one piece of advice. Stick to your story and in no way try to twist it in more to your favor, just state the facts.

jessiebug

The damages to the car are $3300.00. The body actually has no damage. All of the damage is in the undercarriage and a tire that blew out. I've spoken to the insurance company again today and told them what I know. They have a strong suspicion that this is fraudulent as well. Of the two passengers that were claiming injuries, one has now disappeared--perhaps his conscious has gotten to him. The other is claiming that he went to the doctor--THREE days after the accident and found out his elbow was broken and his shoulder was hyperextended--possibily requiring surgery. Don't believe it a bit. He never said anything about any pain in those areas after the accident. Thanks for everyone's help.

I won't lie or embellish the fact...it's just not the right thing to do and would make me no better than this creep. :)

Lynx 36

It sounds like w/ your help your insurance co. is taking care of this as well as looking into the possibility of fraud. They may hire a PI to do some tailing f/ a few days. It's amazing what a few pix can do. I've had a few injury claims dropped b/c of what the PI can find out. I basically show them the pix I have on them. They agree to sign a waiver and I agree not to turn them in f/ insurance fraud.

When insurance companies pay out too much money, we all pay by having our rates increased.

JReyes

Lynx 36 said:
It sounds like w/ your help your insurance co. is taking care of this as well as looking into the possibility of fraud. They may hire a PI to do some tailing f/ a few days. It's amazing what a few pix can do. I've had a few injury claims dropped b/c of what the PI can find out. I basically show them the pix I have on them. They agree to sign a waiver and I agree not to turn them in f/ insurance fraud.

When insurance companies pay out too much money, we all pay by having our rates increased.

VERY COOL! :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">