• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paying for uninsured driver claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ajwebb23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN
Last year I rear ended another vehicle. My insurance had lapsed 3 weeks earlier so I wasn't covered.
I received one phone call from a person at the insurance company but I was at work so I just gave him my information and he said someone would contact me. I never received any phone calls about it and it's been a while and I no longer remember the name of the company I owe.

I'm planning on calling the state DMV tomorrow to track down who I need to pay. I received a letter from the state saying my licenses were revoked and the letter stated that the amount owed was around $2200.

I have two questions.

The state post the same information in the letters online and when I looked at it it no longer says must pay bond of such and such amount or have proof of payment from owed party. Now it says:
SUBMIT A NOTARIZED AFFIDAVIT IF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN SUED AS A RESULT OF THE ACCIDENT OCCURRING ON 01/24/2009. IF YOU HAVE BEEN SUED, SUBMIT A RELEASE FORM FROM THE PARTY WHO FILED THE SUIT.

Does this mean the company is about to sue me? What affidavit would I have to have notarized?

My second question is when I do find out who I owe what are the chances that they will settle for less than the amount? I know what I owe is around $2200, I remember that much. I have $1500 that I can pay them but that is all of the money that I can spare right now. I'm not working and I wouldn't be able to make payments if I did give them the $1500.

ecmst12

I think it's unlikely that they will settle for less but likely that they will accept a payment plan.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">