• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pennsylvania Limited Tort

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pawonderin

okay - maybe I don't understand. It is very hard to argue with an adjuster. She said that my PIP of $5000 was all that should expect to receive from my auto insurance. And because I was not seriously injured using the driver's BI coverage does not apply. I don't know what I am not understanding other than the adjuster's answer "no payment"

moburkes

The brother's PIP coverage MAY be available and MAY be next in line. They can't increase premiums because of PIP claims in this state either.
Surely you're joking? I never said they would increase his BROTHER's premium. I said that it costs ALL drivers additional money, not the brother, specifically. Have you heard of rate revisions? Lately, they are mostly increases, not decreases.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
okay - maybe I don't understand. It is very hard to argue with an adjuster. She said that my PIP of $5000 was all that should expect to receive from my auto insurance. And because I was not seriously injured using the driver's BI coverage does not apply. I don't know what I am not understanding other than the adjuster's answer "no payment"
Ok, read this a few times.
You cannot collect pain and suffering.

You CAN collect your ACTUAL OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES.

pawonderin

Either you don't understand what they're saying to you or they're lying to you! It's probably the first option! Here is a basic synopsis of the limited tort option.

In PA if you select the "Limited Tort" option when you purchase car insurance, you give up the right to sue for PAIN AND SUFFERING only. There are a few instances where even with "Limited Tort" you can sue for them! All economic losses are recoverable NO MATTER WHAT TORT SELECTION you make!!!
RE: All economic losses are recoverable NO MATTER WHAT TORT SELECTION you make! Another thing the adjuster said was that economic loses are not recoverable unless they are a result of and in conjunction the long term and serious injury. Medical bills incurred at the time of the accident (not ongoing) are not covered under Bodily Injury (according to the adjuster, but again I am not "understanding" this)

pawonderin

Ok, read this a few times.
You cannot collect pain and suffering.

You CAN collect your ACTUAL OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES.

Okay - I read it - under what category can I collect actutal out of pocket expenses? They say not under BI or PIP - so what else? I am sorry - It seems like I am frustrating alot of people - When I talk to the adjuster, the language she uses is intimidating. Today I said "in plain terms, why can I not collect money from you under Bodily Injury?" and that is what she replied "the emergency room medical expense falls under PIP not Bodily Injury" What else can I ask them?????

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sue the other driver for the actual amount you are out of pocket. That'll bring the insurance company to the forefront...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">