• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

People parking in front of my driveway...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

EastBay

What is the name of your state?Right now I live in Utah and I'm hoping someone can tell me what's legal in a certain situation. I live in a house near a college campus that has a long, narrow 1-car driveway. People not wishing to pay for Campus parking permit regularly park in front of my house, blocking my driveway. When I back out of my driveway in my truck I cannot see the street directly behind me, only through the side view mirrors. So let's say I'm backing out, I can't see a car parked in the street blocking my driveway, and I back into it. Who's responsible? Are they for parking illegally & blocking a stranger's driveway? Or am I for backing into them, even though conditions make it impossible to see them?

Also, I'm getting pretty tired of having to call a toe truck every time I have to go to work. Is there anything I can do about that?

stephenk

Can't you put a mirror at the end of the driveway to see if anything or anyone is in your path?

you will need to keep calling a "toe" truck to move the cars. nothing else to do.

teflon_jones

Sorry, but you'll have to keep calling a tow truck. You could also leave some traffic cones blocking the end of your driveway, maybe somebody could take a hint!

Happy Trails

EastBay said:
What is the name of your state?Right now I live in Utah and I'm hoping someone can tell me what's legal in a certain situation. I live in a house near a college campus that has a long, narrow 1-car driveway. People not wishing to pay for Campus parking permit regularly park in front of my house, blocking my driveway. When I back out of my driveway in my truck I cannot see the street directly behind me, only through the side view mirrors. So let's say I'm backing out, I can't see a car parked in the street blocking my driveway, and I back into it. Who's responsible? Are they for parking illegally & blocking a stranger's driveway? Or am I for backing into them, even though conditions make it impossible to see them?

Also, I'm getting pretty tired of having to call a toe truck every time I have to go to work. Is there anything I can do about that?
You could put a sign at the end of the driveway stating "don't block driveway you will be towed at owner's expense".

You Are Guilty

Not that I'd advocate criminal activity, but were the people who parked in your driveway to mysteriously all receive 4 flat tires and a steaming pile of poo on the hood, I can pretty much guarantee no one will ever block your driveway again.

You Are Guilty said:
Not that I'd advocate criminal activity, but were the people who parked in your driveway to mysteriously all receive 4 flat tires and a steaming pile of poo on the hood, I can pretty much guarantee no one will ever block your driveway again.
The key here is.......DO NOT get caught!!! :D
just kidding

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">