• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Injury

• Thread starter Yvonne Braithwaite
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

Yvonne Braithwaite

I am a resident of NYS.
I fell on a flight of stairs as the result of a poorly lit stairwell and substained serious and permanent injuries. The landlord lives in the building and the light fixture in the hall had been inoperable for some time. (I was a vistor of a tenant in the building). I filed suit against the landlord, but have been advised that he has no liability insurance on the property. What options do I have in attempting to recover damages. Is it possible to seek a judgement that would place a lien on the property for settlement at the time of sale? Any other course of action?

HomeGuru

If you filed suit, then the suit goes on regardless if L has insurance or not. L is personally liable and if you prevail you can get a judgement and attach the judgement as a lien on the property. Once the lien attaches, you need not wait until the building is sold to get paid, you can foreclose on the lien at any time. You may also name the mortgage lender and the City Building and Housing Dept. in the lawsuit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">