• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

personal injury liability limit in MS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kaitland8

My mother broke her arm and knee cap in a slip and fall accident on a public street in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi in 1994. She resides in Louisiana. She hired an attorney in Mississippi who filed a lawsuit (in state court) against the the city of Bay St. Louis in 1995. She has just informed my mother that the maximum amount of money she can receive will be $50,000 because of some law that was passed in MS. I'm just checking to see if this is correct. What if the medical bills have exceeded $50,000 (mostly paid for by Medicare) and she still has pain and suffering and has lost 50% use of her arm? We are concerned that this attorney did not know about this law 6 years ago when she filed the lawsuit on my mother's behalf. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">