• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Injury offer from Insurance Company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

indianhead

What is the name of your state? Ohio

A relative of mine, while visiting Ohio was broadsided by a woman, who ran a red light. A witness follwed her, called the police and she was ticketed for hit and run and leaving the scene.

Her insurer settled quickly, for the car which was an older model but totalled.

My relative spent 6 hours in the hospital, where he was diagnosed with neck, back and wrist injuries. He was confined to his home, for about a week.

Other than some residual wrist pain, he is feeling better now.

He did not want to hire a personal injury attorney, as he felt that the insurer would treat him fairly.

The insurer has now sent him a letter, offering him $1,000 for his injury.

If he still refuses to retain an attorney, would it do any good to back with a
counter offer? I'm not sure how the process works when dealing directly with an insurer.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Who's Liable?

Of course they only offered $1,000!!! Tell your buddy that the insurance company is only looking out for itself and not his best interests! They want to pay the minimum amount out, and if he accepts, and and all future claims that stems from this accident will be voided... in short, lets say he does settle for the $1,000 and two years go by and the doctor says wow... there is more to the injury and it is going to cost a lot more! guess what? That is all coming out of his pocket!!!

Tell your friend to flip off the insurance company by insulting him with a $1,000 payout and get an attorney!!!

citybird

need similar advice

my situation is similar, but in the state of Maine...

A woman broadsided me after running a red light and she was found at fault. I spent 3-4 hours in the emergency room that day and was not diagnosed with any serious injury. However, my back is still sore sometimes.

I was offered $500 from her insurance company today to compensate for my loss.

How do they determine this figure? Is it negotiable? And how much should I attempt to ask for? I'd rather not get involved with lawyers, but I also don't understand how they can put a price tag on problems that may arise in the future as a result of this accident.

If I settle now, and some issue comes up later that can be attributed to this accident is there any recourse I can take at that point?

Thank you.

Who's Liable?

citybird said:
my situation is similar, but in the state of Maine...

A woman broadsided me after running a red light and she was found at fault. I spent 3-4 hours in the emergency room that day and was not diagnosed with any serious injury. However, my back is still sore sometimes.

I was offered $500 from her insurance company today to compensate for my loss.

How do they determine this figure? Is it negotiable? And how much should I attempt to ask for? I'd rather not get involved with lawyers, but I also don't understand how they can put a price tag on problems that may arise in the future as a result of this accident.

If I settle now, and some issue comes up later that can be attributed to this accident is there any recourse I can take at that point?

Thank you.

Please post in your own thread... It is rude to hijack someone elses... Plus people will know that you are looking for anwers...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">