• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Injury Settlement - No Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LeftFi3ld

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I had borrowed a friends car that I was told was completely legit (insurance, current registration, the whole 9) to run an errand. On the way back I was hit from behind thus causing me to hit the car in front of me which then hit the car in front of it. After the accident I come to find out that the car was dropped from the policy and the car owner wasn't made aware (on a policy with a their SO). Long story short the insurance companies found me to be at fault since the person who hit me didn't stay around to share any information. One company came after me while the other company went after the owner of the car (as they said the responsibility of insurance is said to follow the owner). Now I have a driver who says she's suffered personal injury and would like compensation. She first contacted me a few weeks after the accident to make me aware and asked me to pay her medical bills to which I responded I would need to see them. Once I asked for proof she immediately threatened to sue me. Then she suggested we settle and after which if her medical expenses exceeded the settlement amount she would no longer hold me responsible. I again said it was a possibility pending proof. She told me she would contact me in a few days and waited months.

Now, she has once again contact me asking for insurance information to which I reminded her there isn't any. So now she has informed me to prepare to be contact by her attorney for personal injury.

Here's my thing:
I have no problem paying as I did hit her but she keeps refusing to furnish proof of the bills. If she has an attorney and plans on suing I know she has proof so why not just provide it to settle?

1. How come one insurance company decided the responsibility of repayment fell on me whereas the other company believed it to be the fault of the car owner?
2. I realize I should get an attorney, but how do personal injury cases play out? Especially when initially the request was to just repay her for her out of pocket expenses?
3. Will the owner of the car have anything to do with the personal injury suit?

I realize i'm in a bad place but any advice or insight will greatly help me. Thank you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Before we proceed - I am curious as to why you are so willing to accept liability for this accident when you are so adamant that you didn't cause it...

LeftFi3ld

Re:

I've been trying to defend myself but the truth of the matter is it's very hard to furnish proof I'm not at fault. The person who hit me immediately switched lanes and drove off while the rest of us tried to recover from shock and safely get out of our car. This is my first accident ever so I didn't respond the best way possible. I froze basically. I know the make of the car and color and wasn't able to grab the license plate #. There were dents to the back of the car I was driving but the police stated in the report since no one else hung around as a witness they couldn't conclude the dents were from the accident... so no other insurance company would agree that it was either. So it seems like to continue pushing it's not my fault would get me nowhere. :(

The other drivers also state to their knowledge no one else was involved (but they were in front of me so I don't know how they would have known i was hit).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">