• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal Injury SOL-Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bates0

I am a legal nurse consulting student in florida. I am curretly studying Civil Litigation, Torts, and Administrative Law. I am trying to locate a copy of the statute of limitations for personal injury cases in Florida. All of the web sites that I use bring me to
'Online Sunshine' where I am not having any luck. Can you point me in the right direction...if you're feeling especially helpful today, you could just give me the number of the statute :)

I assume you have access to a law library. The statute of limitations for PIP in FL is 5 years. It is not found in the PIP statute (FS 627.736). It comes from case law. You need to sheperdise two cases that conflict on when the date begins to run: Fladd v. Fortune Ins. Co., 530 So.2d 388; and Levy v. Travelers and Aetna, 580 So.2d 190. In Fladd the court held that the statute of limitations for a PIP claim begins to run on the date of the accident. In Levy the court held that it commences upon a breach of the policy contract rather than on the date of the accident. You need to find out if the conflict was resolved since the last time I checked on this. The decisions were from 2 different DCA's.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">