• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal property tax on leased car????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lds265

I don't understand why I received a notice asking that I pay a "personal property tax" on my leased car. I am in the 3rd year of my 3 yr lease agreement and this is the first I have heard of this. I understand I am liable for the yearly excise tax but am I liable for this tax even when I don't "own" the car? Should I be billed for this?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lds265:
I don't understand why I received a notice asking that I pay a "personal property tax" on my leased car. I am in the 3rd year of my 3 yr lease agreement and this is the first I have heard of this. I understand I am liable for the yearly excise tax but am I liable for this tax even when I don't "own" the car? Should I be billed for this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

We're going to need more info:

1. What State are you in?

2. From whom did the Notice come from?

3. On the Notice, both front and back, are there any indications of the law; e.g., Statute numbers?

4. Can you please quote the exact words from the Notice?

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

L

lds265

I am located in "Taxachusetts", Massachusetts to the rest of the world. Can you tell I am bitter. LOL Anyway...

The letter was sent by the lesser company on their letterhead, American Honda Finance.
The letter states that it is an advance notice of obligation for personal property taxes on your leased 1998 Honda Civic Cpe. Vehicles are subject to property tax in your state. Under the terms of your lease agreement, you are repsonsible for taxes levied on you, the vehicle, or the lessor. American Honda Finance Corp. will pay the property tax direct to the taxing authority. The amount will be billed when due on your Lease Statement with your regularly scheduled lease payment. The amount will appear under the section titled Prior Billings and Miscellaneous Charges and will be identified as "Property Tax".

There are no indications of law statute numbers anywhere on the letter. I have gotten a letter like this the past 2 years to inform me of the excise tax portion but nothing of personal property. I should request a copy of the tax bill they received. I don't think this right, but common sense doesn't seem to thrive very well when it comes to federal and state law.
Any information and advice is most appreciated.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Thanks for the info. However, I could not find any laws in these regards. Therefore, I concur with you that you should, indeed, request a copy of such billing, and that the same should be faxed to you. And, I would also ask you to post the same here for follow-up, if necessary.

Thanks.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">