• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Philadelphia Taxi Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rod175

What is the name of your state? Philadelphia, Pa.

I am a taxi driver. I work as an independent contractor. I had an accident in Philadelphia Pa back in January. I rear-ended a vehicle at low speed. They are now saying they are injured. The vehicles were not damaged. My company is suppose to carry me on their insurance policy. When the accident occured the insurance company said I was not covered by the cab company policy.

The cab company is being sued as a result of the of the accident. I am named in the lawsuit as a responsible party due to negligent driving or something like that.

My questions are : Do I need a lawyer ?, is this covered by unisured motorist insurance ? Am I going to end up paying someone for the rest of my life because of this? Is the cab company liable for not having required insurance?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You failed to abide by your vehicle lease agreement with the taxi company. In it, you'll read, probably for the first time, that it was your responsibility to have vehicle insurance.

It's the same thing if you had leased a vehicle from a car dealership. In effect, when you lease, you're only "borrowing" the car; it's never your car. But, during the life of the lease, you're the one obligated to buy insurance.

So, basically, you're screwed.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">