• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help! Car Accident While Pregnant.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AccidentProne80

What is the name of your state?Georgia....I was involved in an auto accident last year when I was 8 months pregnant. The other driver was found at fault and issued a ticket. There are $7,000 in medical bills and I'm still going to the chiroprator 2 times a week. I spent 2 days in the hospital to monitor my baby. There was a real chance of losing him because I have a RH + blood type. Any internal bleeding and my body would reject the fetus. I wanted to wait until after the birth to settle the medical portion of my claim to be sure my son was born alright. Liberty Mutual has offered me $10k for my medical bills. Is that enough for the years of medical attention I may need and the pain and suffering put on me in the last month of pregnancy and the fear of losing my first born? Also, there is now scar tissue in my breast from the seatbelt trauma and my son has trouble breastfeeding because of it. I've heard that a proper amount would be 3x the initial medical bills making the amount $21k. Any thoughts? I also had a severe ankle sprain, airbag burns, and a possible cracked sternum. (They could not x-ray my chest because of pregnancy.) Please help, the bills are beginning to go into collections and mess up my credit. :( :(

rmet4nzkx

Uuh, Rh+ does not cause your body to reject your infant because of internal bleeding, MOST mothers are Rh+!

The problem is with Rh- mothers carrying a subsequent child that is Rh+ after antibodies develop with a Rh + baby, so that couldn't have happened with your first child and can be treated. Not all Rh- mothers have problems with subsequent pregnancies.

Why are you not making reference to your OB but rather a Chiropractor? You don't have insurance to cover your pregnancy? Being in an accident is not a free ride to medical coverage for pregnancy. If your baby was in jeopardy, they could have done a "C" section.

Bruises from seatbelts should not interfere with breastfeeding. They are being generous offering you more than enough to cover your medical expenses considering you delivered safely. The reason your medical bills are going to collection is because you are looking for a free ride and looking to benefit from someone's mistake, or was it their fault?

Take the money, if you fight this you are going to be discovered!

AccidentProne80

Just so you know.

I'm not trying to get ANY money to cover the delivery of my baby. I'm looking for money that I am owed just because of this accident. It just so happens that because I WAS pregnant at the time more medical bills were necesary to cover monitoring of the baby. He was delivered normally and healty.

rmet4nzkx

Still the Rh factor has nothing to do with your accident, I suggest you consult with an attorney, remember a good portion of any settlement will go to attorney fees and costs so you could net less that offered now.

I'm glad your child was born safely, is he Rh- or +?
Relax and don't stress so much, breastfeeding will be easier that way.

Lynx 36

Quote: "I've heard that a proper amount would be 3x the initial medical bills making the amount $21k. Any thoughts?"

Yea, dream on.

rmet4nzkx

Lynx 36 said:
Quote: "I've heard that a proper amount would be 3x the initial medical bills making the amount $21k. Any thoughts?"

Yea, dream on.
No she is right about 3xspecials, but then she has to deduct 40% attorneys fees and costs which may equal the attorney's fees because she willl have to prove a case which does not include any lingering injuries, leaving her with 20% and less than offered.

teflon_jones

Sounds like you got a reasonable settlement. You're not going to get a bunch of money for your fear of losing your baby, or the additional stress. You can only get money for your medical bills, plus a small amount for your pain and suffering (if you're lucky, not always offered). In this case, they gave you $3000 for pain and suffering. Sounds pretty reasonable. And what future pain and suffering are you referring to? You've provided no evidence to back this up.

Take their offer, clear up the bills, and move on. I'm glad to hear that your child was born healthy!

Lynx 36

Quote: "No she is right about 3xspecials,"

Really!? Where did you get this info. from? Haven't you read the replies from the numerous posters on this board that there is no set amount when it comes to pain and suffering? Insurance companies are being much less generous w/ settlements these days and 3x or 5x is not a set number anymore. Why are they able to do this? It's b/c they are winning in court that's why.

Or maybe you would like to enlighten us w/ all the personal injury claims you have settled. I've never given anyone 3x their meds unless they are dead.

Please stop giving people wrong info. or getting their hopes up.

Just answer my question f/ the 15th time. Where do you have any claims adjusting experience from? You never want to answer that question I've asked many times before. You're a clueless idiot when it comes to your advice on claims, so do us a favor and stay out of forums you know nothing about.

You were proven wrong the other day on the civil case on the injury claim. Do I have to prove you wrong here too? Even Belize Breeze will back me on this one, as I have seen him post numerous times that 3x and 5x is not a valid number anymore.

She may get some money but it may not be 3x her meds.

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

Lynx 36 said:
Quote: "No she is right about 3xspecials,"

Really!? Where did you get this info. from? Haven't you read the replies from the numerous posters on this board that there is no set amount when it comes to pain and suffering? Insurance companies are being much less generous w/ settlements these days and 3x or 5x is not a set number anymore. Why are they able to do this? It's b/c they are winning in court that's why.

Or maybe you would like to enlighten us w/ all the personal injury claims you have settled. I've never given anyone 3x their meds unless they are dead.

Please stop giving people wrong info. or getting their hopes up.

Just answer my question f/ the 15th time. Where do you have any claims adjusting experience from? You never want to answer that question I've asked many times before. You're a clueless idiot when it comes to your advice on claims, so do us a favor and stay out of forums you know nothing about.

You were proven wrong the other day on the civil case on the injury claim. Do I have to prove you wrong here too? Even Belize Breeze will back me on this one, as I have seen him post numerous times that 3x and 5x is not a valid number anymore.

She may get some money but it may not be 3x her meds.
If you look at many of the threads where you have responded, it was your credentials that was questioned, not mine, including a recent thread re manslaughter.

OP said, "I've heard that a proper amount would be 3x the initial medical bills making the amount $21k. Any thoughts?"
My point it acknowledging that 3xspecials is a common formula she may have heard and then went on and explained why she should not expect that kind of a settlement, but as usual you don't read the response. You also acknowledged the formula by stating, "3x and 5x is not a valid number anymore." also acknowlidging what she had heard. It is nor based on what insurance companies decide, but on what is decided in court or out of court decisions where the plaintiff makes a decision based on the facts of their case, whether to accept the insurance company's settlement offer, or to risk taking the issue to court. There is a greater chance of a larger award or settlement when there are lingering injuries, but as I informed OP she does not have that kind of a case and by the time the costs are subtracted from what ever settlement she might win, more than likely she would end up with less than she is offered now and she might be better off taking the settlement and paying her bills. That is a far cry from what you are claiming.
"Please stop giving people wrong info. or getting their hopes up."
Please read the posts in the future and stop misrepresenting what is said so you and make a fool of yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">