• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help....I am being sued....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tanminmin

What is the name of your state? NJ

What is the name of your state? NJ

On Dec 2002 I have an accident during snowing day. It was a very light accident, I hit the right bumper of the car infront of me. The accident was near the traffic light because the road is slippery. My car did not has any damage at all. The owner of that car that I hit said that he is okay (I asked him), no injury at all. The accident is really really 'light'. The police officer at that time even said to me : this is a very small accident, you guys actually can settle it by yourself, without having to involve insurance company. But I still called my insurance co, State Farm at that time to settle everything. And I know that finally State Farm already compensate that man.

Two years have past, now out of nowhere, I just received a summon stating that I am being sued by him. That guy claimed that he has suffer personal injury because of me. What should I do? I really want to prove to the court that he is lying. Where can I obtain the proof. That police office that handling us last time can be the witness. However, even if we can locate him, I doubt he still remember the situation. What happen if that guy who lied produce a fake medical records or bills to show the judge that he has used a lot of moneys from his own out of pocket? For your info, my insurance co. right now is Geico, not Statefarm anymore. Will Statefarm still want to help me?

I am not experience in this kind of situation and I don't have money to afford an attorney. Can somebody advise me please? I really appreciate it.
Thank you so much.

Min2x

S

seniorjudge

"But I still called my insurance co, State Farm at that time to settle everything. And I know that finally State Farm already compensate that man."

Call your insurance carrier as soon as you finish reading this post. If they have already paid him, then he can't do anything to you. He should've signed a complete release when he took the dough.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">