• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please Help, Mechanic Misdiagnosis of Car Repair

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sdsurfer25

What is the name of your state? California

I took my car to my mechanic and he misdiagnosed and repaired my car for about $700.00. I immediately brought to his attention that my car's overheating problem was not fixed and now my car is sitting in his lot waiting to be looked at for further repairs.

I no longer want to have the headache of thinking about my car and want to buy a newer car. My question to you all is that since the mechanic misdiagnosed my car and didn't repair it properly, do I have a remedy to get my $700.00 back? If so, what can I do? Your comments would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Frustrated Car Owner.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

sdsurfer25 said:
What is the name of your state? California

I took my car to my mechanic and he misdiagnosed and repaired my car for about $700.00. I immediately brought to his attention that my car's overheating problem was not fixed and now my car is sitting in his lot waiting to be looked at for further repairs.

I no longer want to have the headache of thinking about my car and want to buy a newer car. My question to you all is that since the mechanic misdiagnosed my car and didn't repair it properly, do I have a remedy to get my $700.00 back? If so, what can I do? Your comments would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

Frustrated Car Owner.

My response:

Using Google, look for Bureau of Automotive Repair California. Read their site. They are very, very good at helping consumers with problems concerning mechanics. As a matter of fact, by law, a sign with the Bureau's information and telephone number must be posted conspicuously in every auto mechanic's garage.

IAAL

You Are Guilty

I am always amazed, particularly in consumer disputes, why people don't use this option more often. It's like having your own personal attorney on retainer! You pay for it, might as well use it!

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

You Are Guilty said:
I am always amazed, particularly in consumer disputes, why people don't use this option more often. It's like having your own personal attorney on retainer! You pay for it, might as well use it!

My response:

In this case, however, writing to the Attorney General's Office wouldn't help our writer. They typically refer writers with these types of complaints over to the "Bureau". You see, we have an entire matrix of consumer agencies in this State - - so, knowing what the Attorney General would do, I thought it would be best to have our writer go directly to the agency with jurisdiction.

IAAL

You Are Guilty

My bad, I retract my earlier advice. Here in NY (and a bunch of other states), the AG's office will refer the complaint out if a separate agency exists, but still acts as an "intermediary" between the agency and the consumer and thus are quite useful for supplying leverage on people when necessary. (Usually a good thing for people who cannot handle their own disputes.)

Got to give the AG interns something to do besides FreeCell...

sdsurfer25

Thank you two for providing the information above. I will definitely contact the Bureau of Automitive Repairs for information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">