• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help! Not-at-fault accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

genenotatfault

What is the name of your state?LA-louisiana

About a year ago, I got into an accident where I struck this lady in the rear of her car. This is what happened. I was travelling down the road with the flow of traffic at about 50 mph. The road had other vehicles on it, but it was not "locked". There was a truck in front of me. There was a car sitting in the median in front of that truck. The truck swerved out of the way, and it was to late for me to do anything about it. The car was sitting halfway in the median and halfway in the road trying to make a left turn. I hit the rear right side of the car. The lady immediately pulled off of the road and jumped out of the car. I was shocked and it took a while for me to get off the road. I did not get out of the car too quickly either. My door had been wedged shut from the collision. The lady new the officers that came to the scene as Laplace is not that big a place. She said that she was ok. I went to court and they said that I was not at fault. Today I get a citation saying that the lady has this and that and that she is suing me and the insurance company. I don't care about going to court and re-telling the story, but two storms just passed through here and I do not have any money to spend on court costs for myself noranyone else. Oh, the car that I was driving was for my uncle. Am I just screwed? Will I go to debtor's prison? Should I expect that this case will bankrupt me? Please help.

Gene

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">