• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help! We're in trouble!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jen9073

What is the name of your state? Maine

My husband is being sued for an auto accient that happened 2 1/2 years ago when he worked as a delivery truck driver for a medical supply company. He was on a routine delivery during a horrible snow and ice storm and couldn't stop (slid into another driver's rear end) when that vehicle ahead of him stopped in the middle of the road. The police report states nothing about my husband being at fault and the officer at the scene told my husband that there was no way he could have avoided the accident in the weather conditions. My husband's employer's insurance already settled with the other driver, but now he's going after my husband for medical damages (this guy drove away from the accident but now he says he "can't work"). My husband no longer works for this company, and we were under the impression that the employer covered the company van AND my husband so is it possible for this guy to sue us successfully? We had no coverage for him in that company vehicle (his employer did) and we feel like we have no leg to stand on. What should we do about this? His old employer has washed their hands of this and don't seem to be in a big hurry to help us out. We only make $39,000 a year, have $60, 000 in student loans, have children and a mortgage with no equity. What does this guy think he'll get from us? We can't afford a lawyer on our own!! PLEASE HELP!! :confused:

stephenk

forget the employer. notify the employer's insurance company about the suit. your hubby should be covered under the policy as a permissive driver of the company vehicle since it happened while he was on the job.

stephenk

now go to sleep! you are up too late. have your hubby make the call tomorrow morning to the company's HR department to find out the carrier's name and phone number.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">