• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please tell me what can happen...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

valleyhen

What is the name of your state? california

This is a ridiculous situation and I'm embarassed to have to post this but I need answers to tell my boyfriend's idiot of a son. I want him to have the facts so he'll stop being a jerk and do the right thing.

OK, with that being said, here is the situation:

Boyfriend's idiot son, we'll call him Peter or Dick for short, bought a brand new crotch rocket motorcycle last year in May and Dick had one of his friend's be the co-signer for the loan on it. Dick had crappy credit and could not get a loan on his own. Dick claims that the bike is in both his and his friend's names but I don't know if that's true for sure. The reason I have my doubts is because Dick didn't mail his payments for the bike directly to the finance company, he instead gave his friend the money to make the payment himself.

Doesn't matter really because Dick only made two payments to his friend for this bike and then Dick lost his job and stopped making payments ever since. Dick claims that his friend all of a sudden decided to declare bancruptcy and the friend hadn't mailed the two payments he'd given him. Dick is still unemployed and has been driving this bike this whole time.

My boyfriend, his father, put the bike down on his own insurance policy, listing himself as the only driver (which was a total idiot thing to do, in my opinion) back when Dick got the bike and my boyfriend has kept the insurance on it current all this time.

Since it has been almost ten months since Dick got this bike (that he incidently only put the minimum amount of down on when he got it) and of course the finance company wants it back. I'm sure repo guys are looking hard for ol' Dick but they can't find him (so far) because it is very hard to locate our home address since we just moved into our home and we have always had all our bills go to my boyfriend's business address and Dick has always only used that address too.

My boyfriend went to Dick the other day and told him he needed to take the bike back to the dealer and give it back to them before Dick ended up getting arrested for GTA. Dick refused.

Dick, being a Dick, has it in his head that he can report this bike to the insurance company as stolen and that the insurance company will pay off the loan on it and Dick can canabalize the bike and no one will be the wiser. I think Dick is either completely insane or irretrievably stupid to think he can get away with such a scheme.

My questions are these and I sincerely hope that there is someone that can help me so I can get this idiotic situation resolved swiftly:

1. How long after a person doesnt make payments, does the finance company report the vehicle as stolen? Dick only put a small down payment on it when he bought it but has never made a monthly payment on it since.

2. If Dick reports it as being stolen, how likely is he to be taken at his word by the insurance company?

3. What would be the best course of action to get this whole stupid situation resolved without alot of drama?

I love my boyfriend. He is the greatest guy in the world. While I don't agree to him mollycoddling his 29 year old son the way he is right now, I understand that this is his son and he wants to help him get his life straightened out. Despite this, I could just strangle his son for being such a stupid, selfish, lazy jerk but I suppose I might feel differently if he'd traveled through my birth canal. He didn't so I am just so aggravated by him and this whole thing. Ugh!!!!:mad::mad:

Children...the gift that keeps on taking.​

Shay-Pari'e

You stated he made two payments to a friend who signed with him. If the bike is in his friends name, I don't know how huby could have added him to his insurance.

Sounds like "Dick" is on the title, and therefore will be responsible for payments if his friend files BK, or he basically has a BK on his record also.

Tell hubby to get him off his insurance, and let the chips fall as they may.

ecmst12

If the friend was the co-signer, then both of them will have to be on the title and the loan.

Dick is BOTH an idiot AND completely insane. Before reporting it stolen, he will have to file a police report. The police will do an investigation and will BOTH find out that the bike was about to be reposessed, and likely where the bike is as well. Then Dick will go to prison for attempted insurance fraud.

The bank will not report the vehicle as stolen. It is NOT stolen. They want to claim the collaterol for the the defaulted loan, but it's not theft if dick has been ducking them. He STILL owes the money and will CONTINUE to owe the money whether the bike gets repossessed or not. Even if the bike does get repod and sold, there's no way the loan will be entirely paid off from the sale.

stephenk

If you are having such a moral quandry about the situation, why don't you contact the bank and give them the address where Dick keeps the bike.

It seems the apple doesn't fall far from the tree concerning your boyfriend and his kid.

CdwJava

1. How long after a person doesnt make payments, does the finance company report the vehicle as stolen? Dick only put a small down payment on it when he bought it but has never made a monthly payment on it since.
Non-payment is not theft so the vehicle will not be reported stolen. It may be repossessed, but it is not stolen.

2. If Dick reports it as being stolen, how likely is he to be taken at his word by the insurance company?
If "Dick" reports it to his insurance company as being stolen, he will be committing insurance fraud - a felony. If he reports the bike as stolen to the police, he will be potentially committing another felony or two. So, if "Dick" does this, he turns a civil issue into a serious criminal matter that could involve his going to prison instead of the likely repossession of the vehicle.

3. What would be the best course of action to get this whole stupid situation resolved without alot of drama?
Voluntarily return the bike.

The credit ratings of all parties who signed the loan are at risk here. Additionally, they could potentially sue anyone whose name is on the loan. So, if the other parties don't want to suffer for "Dick's" juvenile behavior, they should turn over the bike to the lender.

- Carl

Eekamouse

I don't know about that. I can see why she is upset about the situation since it apparently is going on under her roof. :( The son sounds like a jerk.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">