• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

plowing accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shanew

What is the name of your state?N.Y. i backed into a parked car while plowing ,my insurance says i'm not covered to be plowing therefore they will not pay for her car.Do i have to pay out of pocket or will her insurance cover the damages minus the deductible?She also happens to be the park manager and has the owner holding back all of the money he owes us since jan.

HomeGuru

shanew said:
What is the name of your state?N.Y. i backed into a parked car while plowing ,my insurance says i'm not covered to be plowing therefore they will not pay for her car.

**A: that makes sense since your auto insurance only covers your driving carsn or a plow or farm/heavy machinery.

Do i have to pay out of pocket or will her insurance cover the damages minus the deductible?

**A: talk to her insurance company.

She also happens to be the park manager and has the owner holding back all of the money he owes us since jan.

**A: are you an employee of the park and where you working in the capacity of a park empoyee at the time of the accident? If so, the park insurance should pay for the damage and not you personally.

JETX

"Do i have to pay out of pocket or will her insurance cover the damages minus the deductible?"
*** Either way, it is likely that you will still pay. If you force her insurance company to absorb the damages you caused, they can file a lawsuit against you to recover THEIR damages (that they paid out on your behalf).

S

shanew

woman who owns the car is very combative got only 1 estimate refuses to get any more and the estimate was for $2025 on a 1996 corsica with a dented trunk lid.i will pay if she gets a realistic estimate instead of an inflated 1 for insurance can i force her to get another estimate?

JETX

To my knowledge there is no statutory requirement for her to get additional estimates (though two or three is normal). Therefore, I don't know of anyway that you can 'force' her to get additional damage estimates.

You might try ignoring her demands and sending her a very nice letter asking her to send minimum two estimates to you for your consideration and possible reimbursement (do NOT admit to fault or commit to paying for anything!). Or you might consider seeing if you can get a local body shop to go take a look at the car and offer an estimate.

S

shanew

ok now any suggestions on how to get the owner of the park to release the $3,000 plus dollars that he owes our business?he has been holding all plowing money since the accident until"it is taken care of" time is against me i'm financially crippled until i get this money it is becoming hard to operte everday.

JETX

Unless there is an agreement to allow them to offset the payments owed you with the claims against you, they cannot withhold payment.

The problem is.... in order to get payment, you will have to file a lawsuit (small claims limit IS $3000).... just like you would any other customer who refuses to pay.

S

shanew

thank you for your insight i now have some idea of where to go from here.

Z

zappy

In other words shane:

you were too damn cheap to tell your insurance company you use your truck to plow....cause you didnt want to pay the higher insurance rates....

DUH its far more expensive by doing it YOUR WAY.

JETX

Ignore crappy. He is just a welfare bum who is kind of like a stray dog. He just keeps coming around hoping that someone will pay him some attention. He is an idiot.

HomeGuru

Crappy's posts just keep on getting crappier.
He makes the threads go right down the toilet.
Should we give him the Royal Flush?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">