• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Points Cleared?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BullittMustang

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My mom, of whom works at a High School, was listening to a group of students talking to each other saying about how their driving points would be cleared once they turned 18, they approached the nearest adult, which was my mom at the time, and asked if it was true, she calls me and asks, I have no idea, ha ha. Anyone care to enlighten?

Thanks

(It's sad how young teenagers see things... even if it is true.. they feel they can go out and be stupid and get a million citations and all it will be fine once they are 18).

racer72

Per the Ohio DMV, points stay on one's driving record for 3 years, there was no mention of them dropping off at 18.

moburkes

In Ohio, the DMV charges points for 2 years. At 12 points your license is suspended. They never "fall off". They just aren't charged against you after 2 years.

For insurance, insurance companies charge points (different point system than the DMV) for about 3 years (35 months, actually). However, some charge points based on the ticket date, and some charge based on the conviction or "guilty" date (which means they are charged against you for a longer period of time). In any case, most stop surcharging at 35 months BUT MANY will not allow you to have a good driver discount if you have anything on your record (tickets or accidents) within the last 5 years.

The kids were absolutely, positively wrong. The only way that they were "right" was if they got the ticket on their 16th bday, so it stopped being chargeable on their 18th bday. I don't know of any kid who got a ticket on their 16th bday. If they did - they should stop driving immediately.

The above posters were correct.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">