• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A police man acting partical. Please Help. I was waiting at a stop sign and got hit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

u3k

What is the name of your state? FL

I was waiting at a stop sign which gets in major highway from a small road. A guy, about 65 yrs old, hit my car's behind. My car's back bumper is broke. His front bumper (fell down) and hood is broke (went up). My car was pushed to middle of the highway.(Lucky I did hit any one). He accepts his fault and wants to pay from his packet. A young police man came in... Here is the story starts.....

First, the police man spoke to that guy and came to me. And said, you fix your car from your insurance and let him fix from his insurance.

Me: Why should I pay? It is totally his fault. I was just waiting at the stop sign and he hit me on me behind.

Police: OK. He will pay for yours too, take his insurance detail and address.

Me: you are going to write a report? Right?

Police :No, I am not going to write a report, because it is not that big accident!

Other guy: I will pay from my packet, please don't call insurance.

We went to near by collin center, my car’s estimate is $850 and his car is about $2300.

What should I do? Why police acting partial? Police suppose to give him a ticket. Right? or At least a report. What are my rights? What should I do now?

Last edited:

U

u3k

His insurance wants proof!

I called his insurance company; they want proof or police report. Now, the other guy is disappeared. I don't know why police man refused to write an accident report.

Please add your input.

lwpat

If the insurance company refuses to pay then you need to file in small claims court. I would also file a complaint with the department and demand that they furnish you with an accident report. Do this CRRR. Did you get the name of the officer? There is no excuse for not writing up the accident report and this is clear negligence on the officer's part. You can suponea him to the small claims hearing. The insurance company will probably settle once you file suit.

What you should have done is to call and ask to speak to a supervisor. If the other party is at fault you should always insist that they be issued a ticket. If the officer refuses then you need to request that he place a statement from you in his report and give you a copy.

S

sdstrooper

Tickets are usually given to the driver at fault, but usually up to officer discretion. I don't know what that department's policy is, but, accident reports should ALWAYS be made by the officer, especially when any damage is involved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">