• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

police report required?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sjgoodin

What is the name of your state? California
A lady friend of mine (divorced) has a 20 year old son who has a permit to drive in California. His father's grandmother made her car available to him for learning to drive. The car has been parked at my friend's house. The 20 year old lives with his mother. My friend and her son have driven several times for practice. My friend unfortunately allowed the son to drive ALONE to his work because she could not get him there because she was working. Naturally, he has a small fender bender in the exit ramp of a freeway. The damage to both cars is around $2,500-3,000 for each car. As soon as the accident occured, I drove my friend to the scene to pick up the car and son. The other driver and the son exchanged information. The police were not involved.
There was a delay in contacting the insurance companies by both parties to get estimates by mutual agreement. Once they got the quotes the grandmother decided to ask the other party to make a claim because the estimate was too high. She had hoped the damages would have been within her and her grandson's means but they were not. Since she has comprehensive coverage she also intended to have her car repaired so she also is making a claim.
Apparently that Insurance company (Farmers) decided to pay the claim on the grandmother's car but is balking at paying for the damage to the other vehicle. They have now asked the son to fill out a police report. Should he do this? Why could they possibly want this? Would the son be implicating himself for driving alone. What could happen to him if he does fill out the police report? Please advise.What is the name of your state?

stephenk

are you sure they are asking for a police report? Did Farmers request this in writing? Was the other car uninsured? If yes, filling out a police report is required under most insurance policies.

Betty

Most ins. companies will not pay a claim without a police report. A police report should have been made at the time of this accident - not needed usually only when no or very little damage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">