• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Police vehicle right of way

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mytom

In Illinois, my daughter was involved in an accident with a police car in our village. The accident occurred at an intersection of side streets. The police officer was responding to a call, with lights on but no siren. He claims to have sounded his air horn, but admitted it may have been too far away to be effective. My daughter did not have a stop sign, the police car drove through a stop sign. The line of sight between the two cars was impaired by hedges and overhanging tree branched. Both cars turned to avoid collision, but the police vehicle hit my daughter's front left fender and spun her car so that the rear left fender was also damaged. The police car then skidded over the curb, snapped off a concrete street sign and broke a steel cable attached to a telephone pole. Neither driver was seriously injured - just bruises. My daughter was issued two citations - "failure to yield right of way" and "damage to village property", but she retained her license and was not required to post bond.
I feel that if some action on our part is not pursued, my daughter will not only be stuck with a claim on our insurance, but also responsible for the village property.
We have contacted a few attorneys - none are interested because there's no injuries involved.
Any advice or comments?

[Edited by mytom on 05-11-2001 at 07:31 PM]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">