• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Policy Limits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lindsayilene

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I was in a very bad auto accident last December, and I am currently awaiting my settlement. The insurance adjuster has yet to release the policy limits of the man who hit me to my attorney or to myself. Is it legal to withhold this information? Do I have the right to know the ammount?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Your State may be similar to, or the same as, California in this regard. Discovery of policy limits is allowed only after a lawsuit is filed. I.e., injured parties cannot compel disclosure of the above information without filing suit (or a proceeding to perpetuate testimony). [Griffith v. State Farm Ins. Co. (1991) 230 Cal.App.3d 59, 69, 281 Cal.Rptr. 165, 170 - - information about insurance policy limits is "personal information" protected from disclosure by Insurance Information and Privacy Act; see Ca Ins § 791 et seq.; see also Boicourt v. Amex Assur. Co. (2000) 78 Cal.App.4th 1390, 1391, 93 Cal.Rptr.2d 763, 764, fn. 1- - insurer cannot disclose policy limits without insured's written permission]

IAAL

L

lindsayilene

Thanks!

Thank you IAAL! I can always count on you:)

Do you know if the money that I receive from my settlement is counted as income, and can it be used for a modification of child support?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">