• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Posible brake failure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

harpla

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

My wife was involved in an accident last week. The SUV she was driving suddenly pulled to the right with no response from the steering wheel or brake. She struck 2 parked vehicles, continued going forward with the SUV dragging against the curb, until coming to a cut out in the curb for a driveway allowed the SUV to go onto the sidewalk. The SUV came to a rest after striking a third parked vehicle. I had the SUVs break system front and back worked on, (resurfaced, shoes, pads, seals), 2 days prior.

Were should I take the vehicle to see if this was a result of an error in the work done? And should I get a lawyer first?

teflon_jones

Did you contact your insurance company? They will be more than happy to try to get money from the brake shop if there were any problems with their work. They have lawyers on staff full time to deal with these things.

Lynx 36

If there is definitive proof that it caused the wreck the shop that did the work would be found liable. You will probably be responsible f/ paying to have this inspection done should the brakes not be the cause of the wreck.

Quote: "Were should I take the vehicle to see if this was a result of an error in the work done? And should I get a lawyer first?"

Take the vehicle to a shop of your choosing. Then depending on the findings the insurance company of the shop, will send it to a shop of their choosing.

You can get a lawyer if you want to spend more on this claim than you need to. Having a lawyer or not in this case will not change the outcome of any decision by an insurance company. Property damage is objective. It is physical evidence. Pay your deductable and let the insurance companies hash it out.

You Are Guilty

That would be an incredibly odd result of brake failure - it sounds much more like either a tire blew or perhaps something in the suspension itself broke.

But, if the front brake locked up for some reason, it should be relatively easy to see the flat-spotted tire (or just drive on it and listen for the thump-thump-thump sound it makes). See what an inspection reveals. If it's not the brakes, expect a nice increase to your liability insurance premiums.

rmet4nzkx

You Are Guilty said:
That would be an incredibly odd result of brake failure - it sounds much more like either a tire blew or perhaps something in the suspension itself broke.

But, if the front brake locked up for some reason, it should be relatively easy to see the flat-spotted tire (or just drive on it and listen for the thump-thump-thump sound it makes). See what an inspection reveals. If it's not the brakes, expect a nice increase to your liability insurance premiums.
I had somethng similar after a brake job, they forgot to adjust the brakes but I didn't get out of the parking lot because they failed immediatly. However if it proves to be some mechanical failure, it may still be the fault of the place that did the breaks, most also perform a safety inspection, looking for problems, if that is the case and an inspected part failed there could still be some fault so you might look at all your paperwork.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">